torque converter lock up

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 2000 pontiac grand prix with the 3.8 engine. what it's doing is surging right where the converter locks up at about 45 mph. feels like converter is going in and out. can't feel it going faster and it shifts good at all other times. fresh filter and dex 6 fluid. there was hardly anything in the pan after 80,000 miles on the last fluid and filter change. will a lube guard product help this ? is there anything else i can do to stop this ?

Quote:
there was hardly anything in the pan after 80,000 miles on the last fluid and filter change.

Did you mean there was hardly any trash or particulates in the pan?

The first thing I would do is remove the neg. battery cable for at least 15 minutes, reconnect it, and then let the computer relearn for awhile.

You may 1) have a varnished solenoid valve sticking, or 2) a pressure problem which could possibly mean a worn oil pump.

Try the LubeGard Red and see if it dissolves a potential varnish problem, but there is no guarantee it will fix the problem if the pressure problem is caused by a worn oil pump.

Last edited:
My 2003 Buick Park Ave trans started "shuddering" when it shifts into third. Smooths out again when it shifts into overdrive. Just started doing this a few weeks ago. I tried adding 2 tubes of Lube Gard shudder fix a few days ago, helped a little, but not much. Of course the trans was as smooth as silk when I put approx. $1500 in parts (my own labor)into this car three months ago (struts, cv axles, wheel bearings, brakes). The car isn't worth enough to get into the trans, so I'll just put up with the shudder until I figure I've gotten enough use out of the new parts. Oh well, the joys of owning an older car...

no trash in the pan is what i'm saying. car has been tuned up and runs good and shifts though the gears good with no shuttering in any gears. it feels like the converter is gping in and out at about 45 mph. at lower speeds or higher speeds you can feel it lock up and stay locked up. you can let off the gas ansit will unlock, step on the gas it locks up tight. only seems to surge at 45 mph. ??????

I owned a Mercury Sable that was doing essentially the same thing. Didn't want the expense of tranny repair. My mechanic found the wire that controlled the torque converter lockup and unplugged it. Drove around without lock up for a couple of years. Had no difference in gas mileage and a more responsive car. Maybe that can be done to yours. Good luck with it.

Be aware that disabling converter lockup may exceed the cooling capacity of the trans cooler when driving on the highway. If you go that route, like if the lockup clutch is damaged, keep an eye on trans fluid temperature at high speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back