2016 Toyota Avalon OLM goes off at 5000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so the new 2GR-FE in my Avalon is specced for 10k OCI with 0w20 synthetic

But the OLM keeps going off at 5000..........hellooooooo?

Yep, it goes off every 5k for the maintenance interval. Rotate tires, inspect fluid levels, check drivers side floor mat. The dealer here charges $37 for it. Basically, just a tire rotation.

My aunt has a 2016 Avalon that hit 5,000 miles last week and it did the same thing. I changed the factory fill at 3,000 miles.

Assuming Toyota designed OLM work like most others, it doesn't care about mileage. Instead, it's considering inputs like engine revolutions and engine temperature. If you idle your car a lot, or have been driving it hard so it runs hot, the OLM is going to come on early.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins
Assuming Toyota designed OLM work like most others, it doesn't care about mileage. Instead, it's considering inputs like engine revolutions and engine temperature. If you idle your car a lot, or have been driving it hard so it runs hot, the OLM is going to come on early.

It goes off every 5k miles and isn't like the ones in Hondas and some others.

Assuming Toyota designed OLM work like most others,

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Oh yeah.....sure.....in what universe??? LOL

Last edited:
It's not an OLM. It's a light that goes on every 5000 miles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99

To spend money...

Interesting. I didn't know any car company did that. So, this leads me to the, at least to me, obvious question.

Why? I mean, if all you are going to do is remind the driver to change the oil every 5k miles? The odometer can tell you that.

Sorry, but that's a total fail.

It was a step up for me not to have to write some number down. Felt modern world to me. I actually prefer the simple 5k light as I change oil and filter at 5k using synthetic and the best filters. It takes 10 seconds to reset the light and go again. Then you have the 10k and don't have to writer it on a piece of paper or remember.

Interesting. I didn't know any car company did that. So, this leads me to the, at least to me, obvious question.

Why? I mean, if all you are going to do is remind the driver to change the oil every 5k miles? The odometer can tell you that.

Toyota likes to keep things simple.

Last edited:
The oil change interval for my wife's 2013 Avalon is 10K I believe. However, IMO that are a few too many miles to drive without a tire rotation, so the 5K light is not a bad thing. Ideally there would be a light for tire rotation (say at 7,500) and one for the oil. Probably some of our more fussy drivers would want even more maintenance reminders.

Two of my Toyota's do this. I'm ok with it. I prefer to get the vehicles so that they need stuff when the thousand mile digit on the odometer is a 0 or a 5, so it's not really useful; but it's easily reset so I don't care.

I do oil changes on my mother in laws 2008 Camry, and it blinks a few times at 4500 miles and then comes on permanently at 5000 miles, until it is reset. Its basically an idiot light, for most drivers, to remind them to service their car. Its not really useful for most BITOG folks, but I would say its a pretty useful reminder for most non-car folks.

so... don't buy a Toyota.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig

so... don't buy a Toyota.

Or if you do, just pull the fuse on the oil change reminder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back