Honda Accord question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided an Accord coupe is what I'm wanting to get. 2007-2012 are the years I'm looking at. My only requirements are an automatic transmission,leather interior,and a sunroof. Here's my question. What's the pros and cons of the 4cyl vs the V6? They seem to be all very close in price.

Head over to Drive Accord. Lots of helpful peeps/info there.

Last edited:
AT?!? The 6-6 coupe is a pretty neat and unique offering.

Reality is that the 4 cyl has plenty of power for a car that size, will be infinitely easier to work on, and will use less gas.

It should also handle better, being less nose heavy.

The 4cyl will be great for maintenance/longevity but if you want to be able to dispatch whoever is next to you with ease, you'll want the V6. Both engines are class acts when compared with like engines from other mfrs. but beware the J35 will need a timing belt change at about 100k miles. All depends on your priorities.

Is that the same V6 that's in the Ridgeline and Odyssey? My brother had an 07 4cyl and the first time I drove it I thought it was the V6 model. Definitely plenty of power and smooth as glass.

Reason for an auto being a requirement is I'm moving soon back to the Dallas-Fort Worth area and don't want to be driving a manual in bumper to bumper rush hour anymore which will be an everyday occurrence.

Based on my experience, presently owning the 4 in an Accord and the 6 in an Odyssey, the 4 is more than adequate for the Accord and has the advantage of having a timing chain vs. a timing belt in the 6.

Not exactly the same car or engine, but I'm more than happy with the I4 in my '15 Accord. It has plenty of power and leaves plenty of room in the engine compartment. I don't regret got netting the V6, not at all.

The CVT on the other hand...

If you are looking at the 4 cylinder, make sure it's stone cold when you start it up to test drive it....so you can hear if it has the VTC actuator rattle.

Both my 2010 Accord and my wife's 2014 CRV (both use the same engine) have the [censored] rattle....and Honda hasn't found a fix for it yet.

Transverse V6 engines are impossible to work on, and the Accord is no exception. The automatic transmission in them sucks, and the gas mileage isn't as good as a 4-cylinder, and they use a timing belt.

However, it might be easier to find a V6 with leather than an I4 with leather

The V6 is a modern American muscle car. R&T

Since the K24 is lighter, the I4 has less of a front-heavy feel. I would recommend the '13 or later since the DI engine has more torque, more efficiency and the body got some tweaks so it's not as portly feeling.

I'm happy I traded my '12 sedan for a '14. I don't mind the CVT but have the Sport with paddles. I have outgrown my desire for a coupe and get the stealth sedans now..

2007 will be the last year for the 7th generation.

2008-2010 is the 8th generation
2011-2012 is the 8.5 gen with the mid model refresh

Good cars, the K24 likes its oil. Good motors though.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
If you are looking at the 4 cylinder, make sure it's stone cold when you start it up to test drive it....so you can hear if it has the VTC actuator rattle.

Both my 2010 Accord and my wife's 2014 CRV (both use the same engine) have the [censored] rattle....and Honda hasn't found a fix for it yet.

There is now a fix for the rattle. At least one member here has had it done. The fix has been available for several months. The dealer has to actually hear it in order to get it done. I'm not sure if its free if you're out of warranty though.

I always hear people say the K24 is adequate in the Accord, but the K24 in my grandmother's 2011 CRV really isn't. I thought it would have more power, and the CRV only weighs 100 pounds more so it isn't a weight issue.

I have an I4 which has been very reliable.

The V6 is VCM in the Sedan big NO NO
V6 is NON VCM in the coupe.

If you must get V6 you better get the coupe.

I agree with the advice to get a slightly newer model with DI.

I've been wanting to get away from timing belt engines. Sucks the Accord V6's are belt. My nephew had the belt done on his Ridgeline and it was over $2000.

I'm also noticing the dealership ones are the cream of the crop with perfect Carfax's. Even if I pay a little more,it's worth it to me for one that's in pristine condition,as I tend to keep my cars forever.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've been wanting to get away from timing belt engines. Sucks the Accord V6's are belt. My nephew had the belt done on his Ridgeline and it was over $2000.

I spent $600 on timing belt on a 07 MDX with similar J37 motor (3.7 instead of 3.5) at an Acura dealer. I am guessing the timing belt was part of a $2000 maintainence or repair. The i4 is adequate the V6 is a pleasure. Good luck I'd drive both for sure. I think highway mpg is close in real world.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

$2K seems high for just a TB replacement alone. I'd expect it to be closer to $1K. What's $1K every 100K miles? Doesn't seem like a whole lot when you factor in all other operating costs.

TB replacement cost aside, why not drive both and decide which one is more to your liking? If you determine that the I4 has plenty of 'go' for you, then there's your answer. On the other hand, if you find the V6 significantly peppier, then $1K extra every 100K miles is a small price to pay for it, IMO.

Wife and I have 700K miles on Honda 4cyl engines in the past 15 years. They are BOMB PROOF. They have a timing chain. The 6cyl has a timing belt. The 4 cyl gets better gas mileage and is easier to maintain. I LOVE the Honda 4 cyl engine. Any 6 cyl you buy at that age will have never had its timing belt changed most likely. People trade them in rather than incur a $1000 expense at the dealer.

I would absolutely get the 4 cyl for a commuter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back