Most reliable refrigerator brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is subjective.

Looking for a side by side, counter depth fridge in stainless steel.

It will be sub $2000, simpler the better!

I have so many options. Anyone have some first hand stories or work for any of these outfits?

Thanks,

Every repair person that I have talked to in the last couple years agree on Whirlpool.
They cite easier parts availability and overall fewer problems.
However, all these same people agree that nothing is made to last anymore.
I generally try to stick with Whirlpool brands. Last purchase was a Maytag.

I've got a 1 year old $999 stainless steel Whirlpool. Works great, my only complaint is it makes too much ice so I usually manually turn off the ice maker and when it gets low I turn it back on.

I recently bought a Samsung RF23J9011SR(counter depth, flex 4-door) which got good reviews based on various sources. It's an interesting design... a cross between side-by-side and french door. Ordered from AJ Madison and got a really good deal, think it was right at $2000 after discount and rebate.

Seems some brands do better in certain fridge designs (SxS, french, under/over freezer, etc...) as well. What used to be good, isn't necessarily good today. My folks have had a KitchenAid and GE fridge in the last 30 years. Both SxS and the GE is currently in use (full-depth). The KA is still going 30 yrs later in the garage.

Big thumbs up for Whirlpool. Our last Whirlpool fridge (it was another brand, something Chef, but made by Whirlpool) lasted 15 years or so, so we bought another one. All of our Whirlpool appliances have lasted eons of time, so I just look for that brand when buying appliances (except for microwave ovens--they didn't want to make one that costs less than 200 bucks, so I went with another brand).

I'd also like to second what someone said above, about not being made to last anymore. When I was ordering a door handle for the older unit, the sales clerk at the store I ordered it (a local appliance store) said I probably wouldn't get 15 years out of a new one.

Last edited:
There is a blog on the Yale Appliance website that for at least range tops I was looking at gives best brands based on repairs done. They do have a blog on the top 5 counter depth fridges you are looking for but a quick search didn't yield the repair rate.

I would agree with others that Whirlpool is the way to go.

Originally Posted By: paulri
Big thumbs up for Whirlpool. Our last Whirlpool fridge (it was another brand, something Chef, but made by Whirlpool) lasted 15 years or so, so we bought another one. All of our Whirlpool appliances have lasted eons of time, so I just look for that brand when buying appliances (except for microwave ovens--they didn't want to make one that costs less than 200 bucks, so I went with another brand).

I'd also like to second what someone said above, about not being made to last anymore. When I was ordering a door handle for the older unit, the sales clerk at the store I ordered it (a local appliance store) said I probably wouldn't get 15 years out of a new one.
most likely a magic chef...thats what i have now its going on 19 or 20 years never a problem with it. once a year i cean the coil and coil cooling fan.

Buy from an actual appliance brand, not an electronics brand. Maytag and Whirlpool are the top two. Avoid, samsung LG and the likes.

I would agree on Whirlpool/Mayyag/Kitchenaid. (all the same company)
I have three friends who ditched their new GE's within 3 years due to repeat problems. and our Kenmore Elite (actually an LG) is nothing but trouble. it requires repair 3-6 times a year.

Our family has had best performance from Whirlpool and Maytag refrigerators, too. Son had a GE side by side that had two warranty repairs in three years. He ditched it for a Frigidaire top freezer at year five, when the compressor went out (again). The Frigidaire has lasted 11 years so far, with no repairs required.

In contrast, my daughter has a Kenmore (Whirlpool made) for over ten years. I had a Maytag that went 16 years before I replaced it with another Maytag.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Buy from an actual appliance brand, not an electronics brand. Maytag and Whirlpool are the top two. Avoid, samsung LG and the likes.

I think I'd disagree to some extent because it can easily be model-specific and not brand-specific. In 2004, my folks bought a smallish LG fridge which at that time was the highest rated "cheap" fridge by Consumer Reports. It's been flawless for the last 13 years.

I think there can be a lot of variance within the same brand. The cheaper Samsung fridges are built in Mexico with the more expensive ones often made in South Korea. There may be country of origin differences as well as cost/part differences. Based on my recent experiences with GE and Whirlpool ( and most current major appliances ), I haven't found them particularly "better" but I tend to think of it by model and not brand.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Aren't a lot of the makes all owned by the same manufacturers anymore?

Yep....Whirlpool owns Maytag, KitchenAid, Jenn-Air, Amana, Gladiator GarageWorks, Inglis, Estate, Brastemp, Bauknecht, Indesit, and Consul.

Originally Posted By: dja4260
I know this is subjective.

Looking for a side by side, counter depth fridge in stainless steel.

It will be sub $2000, simpler the better!

I have so many options. Anyone have some first hand stories or work for any of these outfits?

Thanks,

Maytag
Whirlpool
Samsung

..... in that order.

I bought a Kenmore which is made by Whirlpool. It's a counter depth side by side and I have had it for four years with no problems.

Samsung and LG have leaped ahead of Maytag and Whirlpool in appliances just as they did to Sony in TV sets and Blackberry and Nokia in cell phones.

Originally Posted By: Joe1
Samsung and LG have leaped ahead of Maytag and Whirlpool in appliances just as they did to Sony in TV sets and Blackberry and Nokia in cell phones.

Samsung and LG are known for quality problems,so good job sharing some hilarious information there!

I work in this field,I should know whats going on FWIW.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: Joe1

Samsung and LG are known for quality problems,so good job sharing some hilarious information there!

I work in this field,I should know whats going on FWIW.

You can share more regarding reliable units/brands/trends etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back