Is this a good deal - TH350

Status
Not open for further replies.
Came across this post on one of the local car pages on FaceBook. Prices sound good. Would probably live longer behind an LS than the 200-4R in the Regal, lol.

Good deal? Any opinions? Thx.

cqUi5Od.png

NC0Vrbj.png

Last edited:
Sounds about right to me at $300. I just sold mine for $300 with converter.

I went from the TH350 to a 200-4R in the Nova. I would never go back. My recommendation would be to refresh the 200-4R.

Turbo Buick guys run the 200-4R transmission at staggering power levels. I'd upgrade the 200-4R and keep the overdrive and lockup converter before I went backwards to a 3sp. If you go backwards to a 3sp it should be a TH400 IMHO.

Properly built, dual bolt pattern, 200R4.

Lots of folks built T350s 'back in the day', but not a lot built them very well.

They both have Reverse Pattern Manual Valve Bodies?? Do you want to manually shift??

Check the Input Shaft end-play, If more than .010".......Walk away, They are worn out, Or end-play was never corrected during the rebuild.

TH350's are bad about the Center Support wearing into the Case Lugs & blowing the center support snap ring out, There are patches & fixes for this.....You need to inquire about it.

Originally Posted By: Jim_Truett
Sounds about right to me at $300. I just sold mine for $300 with converter.

I went from the TH350 to a 200-4R in the Nova. I would never go back. My recommendation would be to refresh the 200-4R.

That.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Turbo Buick guys run the 200-4R transmission at staggering power levels. I'd upgrade the 200-4R and keep the overdrive and lockup converter before I went backwards to a 3sp. If you go backwards to a 3sp it should be a TH400 IMHO.

And that. My wife's fire-breathing Grand National and my 4500+lb, 542ci Caddy both run 200's. Over 100K on the trans in my Cadillac, it will still chirp second gear at WOT.

This thread, and the affordable prices mentioned, makes me think of something interesting. I have a yard truck I have considered bringing onto the road; it has only been out of the running, so to speak, for a year or so, since I bought it from the previous owner who drove it regularly. It has a TH350 mated to an NP205 transfer case.

What other transmissions could readily bolt on to that T case? I think, but am not sure, that there is some sort of adaptor in place as it is, to make the setup I have work.

I thought PG and 350's were the same length, but 700's were longer?

I'd think a 350 would be better for race. Tighter gear splits, 2.48 instead of 2.74 for first. For race that is, elsewhere the slight bump might be preferable (of course OD would be a boon on the street, and well worth it just for that). Better than the 700, but a 700 might be a better truck transmission, with its 3.06:1 first gear. 350, 200 and 700 all use a throttle valve cable, right? That would just leave lockup, if the prior 350 wasn't a lockup unit.

700 is longer, but uses the same transfer case adaptor as a TH350. IIRC, it also uses a TH400 mount and crossmember.

A TH200-4R is the same length as most th350s.

Originally Posted By: methusaleh
This thread, and the affordable prices mentioned, makes me think of something interesting. I have a yard truck I have considered bringing onto the road; it has only been out of the running, so to speak, for a year or so, since I bought it from the previous owner who drove it regularly. It has a TH350 mated to an NP205 transfer case.

What other transmissions could readily bolt on to that T case? I think, but am not sure, that there is some sort of adaptor in place as it is, to make the setup I have work.

Grab a TH400 and T-case out of wrecked truck for next to free and be done in a couple hours. If you want to go through the swap process, parts should be easily available. The TH400 and NP205 combo was extremely common, you'll need a different input shaft on the T-case the TH400 uses a 32 spline (long or short depending on the year) the TH350 uses a 27 and the adapter plate to go from the 4 bolt pattern to the 6 bolt pattern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back