Blowing sand environment - shorten interval?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if I'm in a place where sand is blowing all over the place for say 15 minutes of driving a week, how much more frequently do you think air filter should be changed? F250 6.7. Thanks.

15 minutes a week? I doubt that would be enough to alter any schedule. Just keep checking your intake hoses and filters on a regular basis.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Does it have a restriction gauge?

Yes. Red/green gauge. Been keeping an eye on it.

Originally Posted By: claluja

let it go until the gauge says to change it.

With my Chevy I drive in powdery silt and sand all summer. I do a lot of off roading and go to construction sites, very dusty and sandy. When I change my filter at 30k miles it's cleaner than my wife's on road only Outback at 12k miles! Check and see how dirty that filter is at 10 or 15k for a baseline.

Agree with the restriction gauge saying when to change the air filter; and a UOA will tell you if your filtration is up to snuff....

Originally Posted By: claluja

Your car tells you when it needs a filter based on restriction. What's the point of this thread again?

What part of Maryland has weekly sandstorms?

I agree with most of the above advice.

RedOakRanch's comment reminds us that the amount of dirt entering the filter depends not only on how dirty the air outside the vehicle is, but also on whether the manufacturer picked a good spot for the air inlet.

Last edited:
I live in Phoenix, where this sort of thing happens at least once a year:

article-2179556-143C01F6000005DC-417_964x640.jpg

... I'm not sure what kind of blowing sand you're talking about in Maryland, but I suspect it's nowhere near as bad as what we get here.

For the record, I put about 30,000 miles a year on my daily-driven 2010 Fusion, and I change my oil every 7,500 miles (sometimes longer), and my air filter roughly every 25,000-35,000 miles... but I base that time window on inspection at each oil change.

I can't imagine the air quality where you are being any worse than what we see here, so you should be fine just following your restriction gauge.

Go by the restriction gauge re change intervals, but also;

Check all inlet ducting s airtight by spraying propane/butane etc at all hoses and listen for changes to idle,
And fit a pre filter of some type, from a pantyhose to an expensive branded version, to prolong the life of the main filter.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
I'm not sure what kind of blowing sand you're talking about in Maryland, but I suspect it's nowhere near as bad as what we get here.

You're right. But when it blows over 20, driving through sand clouds.
Hatteras

Eastern shore MD?
Beach sand is pretty large grains.
Unless you're near wide open throttle, most sand won't go uphill into the intake.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
Eastern shore MD?
Beach sand is pretty large grains.
Unless you're near wide open throttle, most sand won't go uphill into the intake.

No. Good bit of driving NC 12. Hatteras. Much finer sand than MD. See pix above.

Heres my filter with 90k miles on it. All those miles are out west over 13 or 14 states.

And you can see my restriction gauge and its still not up to 11"@H2o, I changed it out due to time not restriction.

ROD
p.s. go by the gauge!

do those restriction gauges work on any size engine? I put one on my mazda that reads up to 25" of Hg I think but it initially sets at about 8" with a new filter. Should I let it go all the way to 25"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back