Requirements to meet MS-10902

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know what the requirements are to meet FCA's MS-10902? All I've been able to dig up is that it's supposedly the same as Cummins CES 20081. Thanks!

The latest Cummins spec is CES 20086, which is the CK-4 version. I would be willing to bet that anything that meets CES 20086 is more than up to meeting or exceeding MS-10902 if it is related to CES 20081.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
The latest Cummins spec is CES 20086, which is the CK-4 version. I would be willing to bet that anything that meets CES 20086 is more than up to meeting or exceeding MS-10902 if it is related to CES 20081.

Makes sense. But what are those material standards stating the requirements to meet them are?

Best that I have ever seen regarding Cummins specs over the years is their claims in their brochures on engines and lubes that their CES standards mirror API HDEO specs. Here is a bulletin from Cummins in 2007 that has a chart that shows this side by side mirroring of Cummins CES specs in relation to API North American specs. They essentially say that the API classifications are just another name for the CES classifications. I imagine the same methodology applies to CES 20086 meeting CK-4 and CES 20087 meeting FA-4.

https://www.sbmar.com/Maintenance/PDF/Cummins-Oil_ServiceBulletin_May-07.pdf

Doesn't seem to be anything more than Cummins giving a in house CES classification to a API classification. So if you want to know what the specs are for any Cummins CES classification, then just look at the API specs. Same thing.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Best that I have ever seen regarding Cummins specs over the years is their claims in their brochures on engines and lubes that their CES standards mirror API HDEO specs. Here is a bulletin from Cummins in 2007 that has a chart that shows this side by side mirroring of Cummins CES specs in relation to API North American specs. They essentially say that the API classifications are just another name for the CES classifications. I imagine the same methodology applies to CES 20086 meeting CK-4 and CES 20087 meeting FA-4.

https://www.sbmar.com/Maintenance/PDF/Cummins-Oil_ServiceBulletin_May-07.pdf

Doesn't seem to be anything more than Cummins giving a in house CES classification to a API classification. So if you want to know what the specs are for any Cummins CES classification, then just look at the API specs. Same thing.

Thanks!

So going by that table any CJ-4 satisfies (or is very close to satisfying) CES 20081.

If you Google the Petro-Canada lubricants handbook, it covers the Cummins specs. The FCA stuff isn't in there yet, but I may have another lubricant handbook or two around that might have something, or it might just be too new right now. It would be nice to see one of the other handbooks around (I might even have one) says anything yet.

And the Afton guidebook is a bit dated, too, so that wasn't of any real help. But, I can just see it, Cummins has a specification, Chrysler appropriates it without being very transparent, and confusion sets in.

Originally Posted By: Garak
If you Google the Petro-Canada lubricants handbook, it covers the Cummins specs. The FCA stuff isn't in there yet, but I may have another lubricant handbook or two around that might have something, or it might just be too new right now. It would be nice to see one of the other handbooks around (I might even have one) says anything yet.

Thank you Garak! I Googled your suggestion and found some good information. It states that CES 20081 = CJ-4 except for "some tighter pass limits".

What are Pass Limits? Thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back