Flat tire question

Status
Not open for further replies.
What kind of damage occurs to a tire if it's flat and had has the weight of the car on it? Seems to me that it could damage *even without moving*. Not huge amounts but something. The rim isn't that wide. Then again, with the bead seated it must spread out the forces... but it's not a force that the tire is designed to withstand, is it? Again, static case.

Not quite random, as my slow leaker decided to go completely flat last night. Not sure why just yet, haven't had a chance to look.

If it's a newer tire, wasn't driven on and no dry rotting it should be ok. I'd have it looked at and see what the shop says.

It's fairly new. I was going to pull it tonight, check for nails. If none are found then I'm going to assume it is a bad valve, and see if I can replace it. I might wait for the weekend though, as I don't feel like setting up the bead breaker, and I had other plans for this evening. If I do find a nail I'll probably have a local shop dismount, fix, remount with a new valve, as that wheel always had a slow leak.

Which car is it on? I had a newer tire go flat shortly after buying it. The hubcap was pressed against the air stem which made it slanted. Walmart did the install.

Flat overnight? Very slight fatigue of the firewall but no worries. Fix the leak and drive on ....

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Which car is it on? I had a newer tire go flat shortly after buying it. The hubcap was pressed against the air stem which made it slanted. Walmart did the install.

My '99. The tires were used, but probably only 5k on them--near full tread. I mounted myself, no bead sealer, reused the valve stems as they weren't that old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back