GTL production to resume at Pearl refinery

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Shell GTL production in Qatar has been down, which helped relieve a multi-year glut of Group III base oils that depressed prices. The operation will now resume and prices are beginning to rise.

From Lube Report:

"Industry sources have said that the loss of Pearl’s output was a significant factor, along with scheduled temporary maintenance shutdowns at other plants, in this year’s tightening of the Group III market. For much of the past few years, that segment had a large surplus that depressed prices. Prices rose in recent weeks as the surplus evaporated, but some say the surplus could return as Pearl’s base oil plant ramps up.

Shell has used most if not all of the Group III output to make its own finished lubricants. Without that supply, observers say the company tapped sources that had supplied other blenders."

Lube Report

Tom NJ/VA

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
The Shell GTL production in Qatar has been down, which helped relieve a multi-year glut of Group III base oils that depressed prices. The operation will now resume and prices are beginning to rise.

Do you mean, prices are beginning to fall? With the plant back online, supplies rise, prices fall.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Do you mean, prices are beginning to fall? With the plant back online, supplies rise, prices fall.

Prices usually lag supply. The report says that prices rose in recent weeks, but they expect prices to fall again after the new supply hits the market and the glut returns.

I've been notified of another 5-9% increase on all "Finished Goods". Effective 5/15/17
"This is primarily due to a Supply issue caused by a number of base oil plants
both domestic and foreign being taken down for various reasons"

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
I've been notified of another 5-9% increase on all "Finished Goods". Effective 5/15/17

That sounds similar to what I've heard. I heard a 5% increase in finished goods.

Originally Posted By: Ursatdx

Same here.

It seems there will be any excuse to raise base oil and additive prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back