Can an oil filter really be filled/clogged?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good night
Is it really possible for an oil filter to be fully filled and clogged after an OCI of 10 000km?
Conditions are:
The engine is in perfect working order (no sludge and under 100 000km)
Oil filter is a FRAM orange can (rated for 5000 miles though)
Oil is valvoline maxlife synthetic blend
Oil sump is 3.25 quarts

Dont suggest other filters or anything...im just asking in general because in my country most people put cheap no brand oil filters on their cars and run an approximate OCI of 8000-10000 km
THANKS ALOT FOR ANY INPUT :)

Last edited:
The orange can Fram can get completely clogged with dirt in 7,000 miles or a little less if the air filter is not in place and you are driving in dusty conditions, like on dirt roads a lot.
If your air filter is in place and there are no major leaks around the edge of it, then you won't get oil filter clogging.

Under the conditions you stated, I do not think it is possible to fill the filter to capacity. Fram designed the filters with a wide margin.

I think a filter is unlikely to clog that early unless something else is seriously wrong. Numerous filters I've cut open with up to about 20,000 miles [~32,000 km] generally haven't contained much visible junk, other than a few carbon particles and very occasional shiny bits.

Last edited:
Yes it's possible to clog an oil filter but only through neglect or engine health problems. Most people with well maintained engines don't come close to getting the filter close to the holding capacity.

I would venture to guess we have double whatever the filter is rated in capacity but it would vary because different cars produce different amounts of contamination even with good air filtration and poor air filtration can make things worse since that contamination will find its way into the oil.

Yes, an oil filter CAN completely "fill up" with sludge/gunk.

Case in point:

HOWEVER - If your engine is relatively clean, there is NO WAY it will happen in only 10,000km. Even if the engine is really sludged up, it would take some real effort to completely jam up a filter with it.

Originally Posted By: SirTanon
Yes, an oil filter CAN completely "fill up" with sludge/gunk.

Case in point:

HOWEVER - If your engine is relatively clean, there is NO WAY it will happen in only 10,000km. Even if the engine is really sludged up, it would take some real effort to completely jam up a filter with it.

Rislone, hmmmm?

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Why not buy the Tough Guard instead for your 10km OCIs?

He's in the Caribbean,they might have limited choices or cost restrictions when it comes to high end filters.

I had one do that, but different situation though. I bought a 1952 Lincoln Capri coupe, around 1962 think I from a co-worker. I needed a cheap car after I wrecked my 58 Simca Aronde. Think I paid $50, something like $10/week.
crazy.gif
It had low oil pressure and the oil looked like tar , so I changed it. It used a cartridge filter and when I opened it up, the element was all crushed down to half size. Apparently, no one ever changed it. That was one tough motor. 317 cu.in. V8 with a 4 speed Hydromatic transmission. Turned out to be one heck of a great car. It would cruse down the freeway at 90+ all day long and get 18mpg. I should have kept it.

Given your engine condition and parameters, ~6200 miles OCI/FCI with MaxLife, highly unlikely. When it comes to holding capacity, I reference Jim Allen from the linked thread below. 'The average filter in the average car at average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed.' See more detail like having other inputs under control too in link.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...Pur#Post3148796

The real concern in your scenario isn't clogging so much as saturation. Paper media fibers will start allowing more extremely fine contaminants through with more time. So while the filter might not be clogged, the length of the OCI may lead to less effective filtering.

Originally Posted By: SF0059
... Paper media fibers will start allowing more extremely fine contaminants through with more time. ...
Elaborate, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back