4. Kimi Raikkonen, Scuderia Ferrari, 34
5. Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing, 25
Constructors
1. Scuderia Ferrari, 102
2. Mercedes AMG Petronas, 99
3. Red Bull Racing, 47
4. Sahara Force India, 17
5. Williams Martini Racing, 16

For more, including track data, analysis, video, and more please check out my full post on TOV Motorsports.

1aa0031fe5fc8b135cca2f7fbb75052e.jpg

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Fingers crossed Kvyat takes out Vettel again!

Unless something odd happens they should be many cars apart this year. I hope Kimi can find a setup to get in the battle, and Stroll to finish atleast.
So far the season has been pretty good, hope it continues.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Fingers crossed Kvyat takes out Vettel again!

As much as I like Kvyat, he'll have to do a monumental start to get anywhere close to Vettel. And, I know you want it to be anyone but Hamilton or Vettel. Well, as I mentioned before, unless you want it to be Hamilton, Vettel is the only other choice. As it stands right now, those are the only two who could be holding the WDC at the end of the year. Everyone else on the grid, by comparison, is merely seat filler right now, being poorly motivated, slightly short on the talent, or stuck in a dog of a car.

gofast182: I'm here! I was busy watching practices and qualifications!

Watched a replay of qualifying at work and was pleased to see the Ferrari lockout. The brake problems at Haas are strange, especially since they are happening with both Carbon Industrie and Brembo.

I got qually finally up on YouTube tonight. My usual bootleg Swedish feed was not to be found today. Hated to see Kimi miss out on P1 but.... I'm frustrated for the Haas guys as well. Here's hoping they pin it down! Looking for Hamilton to be aggressive to try to reclaim his honor. Not my favorite guy.

Yep, that wasn't a bad result at all. I can't say Massa really changed the outcome, since that's a bit optimistic, but he is beginning to get a bit annoying. I'm wondering how someone who has a Mercedes power unit and one of the higher trap speeds on the grid seems to be impeding everyone's way on high speed portions of the track.

At least when Stroll is impeding someone, you know it, flags and/or safety car and all.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
Pretty mundane until the last 3 laps. Feel for Alonso *again*.

McLaren is a total joke, and so is Honda. They can't even finish a formation lap! They should pull out of F1, cut Alonso loose so he can pursue a permanent career in Indy Car.... And stop embarrassing themselves.

Well, McLaren has to drive Honda out, rather than cut Honda themselves, thanks to sponsorship matters. Here's my Ron Dennis style strategy. The cars suck anyhow and are going to be taking serious grid penalties this year. Put in a complete new power unit for P1. That evening, put a new power unit in for P3 and the qualification sections. Put in another for the race. The grid penalties will be huge, but really won't matter, obviously - last is last. It might give Honda enough logistical nightmares to convince them to get with it or get out. Honda is supplying the engines "for free." Let's see how who blinks first if they have to supply six new power units every weekend.

Compare this to when Honda had its act together.

NBC-SN said during the race there was a rumor that Alonso may go back to Renault next season.
They also said that one of the other backmarker teams (Sauber?) may switch to Honda power units.
Considering Honda's success in F1 up to the early 2000's, what they're accomplishing now is a complete embarrassment.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
They also said that one of the other backmarker teams (Sauber?) may switch to Honda power units.

The Sky coverage seemed to state that was a done deal. Apparently Honda always wanted another team but under Ron Dennis, McLaren had them handcuffed. It'll be interesting to see what ERS Sauber use as McLaren insisted on pairing their own with the Honda donk. Also, credible rumours "one" of the current engine manufacturers has started to share secret sauce with Honda to help them come up to speed. All the scuttlebutt points to Merc but nobody will confirm nor deny.

As was painfully evident on the weekend Renault still have a ways to go to catch up. Nice to see someone giving Merc a run for their money though.

I reckon Ricciardo should give Webber his car back.

McLaren will be back. Heck they still supply *all* of the ECUs for the entire field, it's not like they don't have the pedigree.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Well, McLaren has to drive Honda out,
Let's see how who blinks first if they have to supply six new power units every weekend.

Compare this to when Honda had its act together.

LOL You are a cruel person (good strategy though). Bernie would be so proud (snif)....

Originally Posted By: Brad_C
The Sky coverage seemed to state that was a done deal.

Yes, I think so. There have been several stories on it. Incidentally, read here. Monisha says she's satisfied with being in the top ten. With their being ten teams, that's really not a challenge? I guess if you're going to get a Honda engine....
whistle.gif

@DeepFriar: They can hire me to help with strategy. I'll work for much cheaper than what they're used to, and things mathematically cannot get any worse.
wink.gif

It was nice to see Bernie there. I half expected him to be hanging close to Putin all weekend, and it turned out that way. Chase Carey was probably pretty glad to have him there, though no one would admit it. Bernie does have an amazing list of contacts. Incidentally, anyone read his Autosport interview where he sliced up Ross Brawn? What a character.

What I find to be interesting is how fast Bottas was, as compared to how slow Hamilton was. Vettel was driving the wheels off his car, and could not catch him. Although he did get the lead down to under a second a few times. Where as Räikkönen was in no danger of being passed by Hamilton. I think both Ferrari's were pretty close, performance wise.

Whatever Ferrari are doing it isn't helping poor Haas is it. Lots of issues there that power doesn't negate of course. I have to hope Mr. Haas has staying power. I haven't quite worked out if Ferrari was so much improved or if, overall, it was just a single bad day for Hamilton. And, is it me or is Hamilton starting to look calmer? Dare I say maturing?

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Whatever Ferrari are doing it isn't helping poor Haas is it. Lots of issues there that power doesn't negate of course.

That's the issue. The rest of the car just isn't there yet. I'd have been very surprised (pleasantly) if it *didn't* take them a couple of seasons to get their act together. I also think what they need is an experienced driver line up that has the ability to pull them along rather than just [censored] about un-driveable cars.

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
And, is it me or is Hamilton starting to look calmer? Dare I say maturing?

That depends. It seems to depend on whether his failure to perform is his fault or someone elses. If its his inability to perform (like on the weekend), he's calm and measured about it. If the team or car lets him down then he throws his toys out of the pram and starts with the conspiracy theories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back