Primer Bulb not releasing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Subject is a Craftsman 358.794750 2 cycle gas powered blower.

Filled up with fuel for the first usage of the year. Started it up. It ran about 30 seconds until it died.
Checked for spark. None present. Replaced plug. Then discovered that it was not getting fuel. Removed carb and cleaned it. Upon further inspection, noted that the fuel line in the tank had totally disintegrated to the point that the fuel filter was rattling in the tank. Totally replaced all fuel line.

Put fuel in the tank and hit the primer bulb. The bulb sucked in gas but still stayed depressed. Went to start blower and it fired right up. Used with no issues but bulb stayed depressed unless manipulated to pop out.

While I am happy that I actually cleaned a carb, put it back together and I'm not shopping for a replacement blower, I am curious as how to correct this issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

You can buy a standard weed eater fuel line kit that will have both sizes of fuel lines, fuel filter, and a new primer bulb for around $10.

L8R,
Matt

How old is the unit ?

As stated it could be few things, clogged fuel filter, bad primer bulb, bad check valve in carb. Interesting that the unit runs; when you ran it how long was it running for and was it at WOT for a extended period of time?

I've been having trouble with my 4cyl Troy-Bilt blower that's 5 years old; falls on it's face @ WOT, sticking primer bulb (fixed with a new bulb since I found a crack in it) cleaned the carb out twice: it works great for the fist use, but when I have to use it the next day lets say it does the same thing again. In the end no matter how many times you clean the carb there is no way to fully unclog them the areas are so small that you just have to buy a new carb.

I can get a new carb/gasket for around $40 for mine. I do have a Echo 58v string trimmer that is just better in every way possible compared to a gas one. I'm going to most likely just purchase the 58v Echo blower at this point to compliment my trimmer.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I am curious as how to correct this issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

Throw unit in trash. Replace with Echo, Stihl, Dolmar, Redmax, etc. Use it for the next 30 years basically problem free.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I am curious as how to correct this issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

Throw unit in trash. Replace with Echo, Stihl, Dolmar, Redmax, etc. Use it for the next 30 years basically problem free.

His Craftsman can probably be fixed for ten dollars, maybe he got new lines mixed up.. I guess he can spend big bucks on something if he wants to impress his neighbors.

Last edited:
primer bulb is degraded, ethanol in the gas slowly dissolves the rubber and they lose their springiness. Replace the bulb and if you didn't replace the filter pick up one of those too.

UPDATE: Installed new fuel filter and primer bulb. It would not start again. It would run when I put fuel in the plug hole. Decided that enough was enough, took advantage of Stihl Days and bought a new Stihl. That one starts nicely.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
His Craftsman can probably be fixed for ten dollars, maybe he got new lines mixed up.. I guess he can spend big bucks on something if he wants to impress his neighbors.

UPDATE: Installed new fuel filter and primer bulb. It would not start again. It would run when I put fuel in the plug hole. Decided that enough was enough, took advantage of Stihl Days and bought a new Stihl. That one starts nicely.

Craftsman 2 cycle stuff is straight garbage. They break down constantly. And then when you try to fix them, you end up throwing $20-$30 worth of parts at something that is only worth $15 to begin with, and you still cant get it to run. I've seen this time and time again. Does it make sense to buy a new craftsman unit every 4 to 5 years or to just buy a Stihl/Echo and use it for the next 20 or 30 years basically trouble free? Sometimes it makes economical sense to spend a little bit more upfront for a better tool.

I have a 15 year old Echo blower and 15 year old Echo trimmer that get USED. They have never been worked on. Ever. The blower starts in one pull. The trimmer starts in two. I've never replaced the air filter, spark plug, fuel filter, anything. And they run like new. For the past several years I also mow 4 of my neighbors lawns, pretty much year round. The only thing I do for them is to make sure and use non-ethanol fuel.

The OP will get good service from his new Stihl blower. Good choice.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

Craftsman 2 cycle stuff is straight garbage. They break down constantly. And then when you try to fix them, you end up throwing $20-$30 worth of parts at something that is only worth $15 to begin with, and you still cant get it to run. I've seen this time and time again. Does it make sense to buy a new craftsman unit every 4 to 5 years or to just buy a Stihl/Echo and use it for the next 20 or 30 years basically trouble free? Sometimes it makes economical sense to spend a little bit more upfront for a better tool.

I have a 15 year old Echo blower and 15 year old Echo trimmer that get USED. They have never been worked on. Ever. The blower starts in one pull. The trimmer starts in two. I've never replaced the air filter, spark plug, fuel filter, anything. And they run like new. For the past several years I also mow 4 of my neighbors lawns, pretty much year round. The only thing I do for them is to make sure and use non-ethanol fuel.

The OP will get good service from his new Stihl blower. Good choice.

I had started the process to upgrade my OPE over the last few years to either Echo or Stihl. I have an Echo Straight shaft trimmer that I use as a brushcutter and last year bought the small Stihl curved shaft trimmer to use for grass. I wanted something lighter weight for the grass trimming. I would have eventually replaced the blower but wasn't necessarily in the mood to right now, if I could have half-rumped it together with a simple fix.
I was fine with about five bucks in fuel line and another three for a plug. I was okay with five for a fuel filter and three for a primer bulb. However, the next step would have been $28 for a carb, and we weren't going to go there. At least, I can recycle the plug.
I would have been fine with either the $129 Stihl or the $149 Echo. The Echo dealer was out of the Echo, so I went with the Stihl. A new Craftsman would have been $99 on sale. That comparison goes to show that quality doesn't necessarily need to be cost prohibitive. When my Craftsman mini-tiller goes, it will be replaced with either a Echo or a Stihl, even those those pieces are considerably pricier.

Congratulations! People have a perception that it must be cost prohibitive but I have found the price is similar. I have a Stihl BG50 gas blower that I love! It is light and powerful and runs great. It was cheaper than some of the units at the big box store and I got the dealer experience which was awesome.

Originally Posted By: AnthemBassMan
You can buy a standard weed eater fuel line kit that will have both sizes of fuel lines, fuel filter, and a new primer bulb for around $10.

L8R,
Matt

Had a similar issue last year. Problem solved for < $10.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4223097/Re:_Ryobi_tiller_question#Post4223097

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back