Vanguard 18HP Engine Oil for Break-In?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, everyone. I would like to know your opinion on what oil to use for break-in?

30hd Castrol or Pennzoil?

10w-30 Pennzoil (PYB)?

10w-30 Amsoil Sig. Series?

10w-30 Rotella T5 synblend?

15w-40 (insert brand here) diesel oil?

5w-40 Rotella T6?

Heck, unicorn p i s s? Or Ogre snot? Olive oil?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I got a new lawn tractor last weekend and was thinking the same thing. I was leaning toward Delo 400 XLE 10W-30 but now I'm just going to go with a synthetic 5W-30 that B&S recommends as the "best" choice. Since it's new and in warrnaty, I ruled out the 40 weights.

1: Castrol Edge HM 5W-30
2: Mobil 1 HM 5W-30

Whatever oil it came with change after 5hours or so. Is it a splash lubed model or pressure?

Any of above but not Amsoil 5hr break in I'm a big fan of Amsoil Small Engine Oil ASE after that.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
I got a new lawn tractor last weekend and was thinking the same thing. I was leaning toward Delo 400 XLE 10W-30 but now I'm just going to go with a synthetic 5W-30 that B&S recommends as the "best" choice. Since it's new and in warrnaty, I ruled out the 40 weights.

Better read the Briggs oil recommendations more carefully.

5W-30 full syn is best in cooler operating temps. For temps above 80F Briggs says a 15w-50 full offers the best protection.

I would say the latter conditions are where the majority of mowers and lawn tractors see the most action. If fact Briggs states-:For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from 20°F to 130°F).

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/na/en_...ChoosingOilType

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

5W-30 full syn is best in cooler operating temps to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption. For temps above 80F Briggs says a 15w-50 full offers the best protection.

I would say the latter conditions are where the majority of mowers and lawn tractors see the most action. If fact Briggs states-:For continuous-use, such as commercial lawn cutting or pressure washing, use Vanguard 15W-50 Oil (temperatures from 20°F to 130°F).

I added the rest about 5W-30 full syn that you left out and I'm not mowing grass all day long so I don't fall in the continous use / commercial cutting category.

6starprez said:

5W-30 full syn is best in cooler operating temps to as high as 120° F (-30 to 40° C) providing the best protection at all temperatures as well as improved starting with less oil consumption. For temps above 80F Briggs says a 15w-50 full offers the best protection.

I added the rest about 5W-30 full syn that you left out and I'm not mowing grass all day long so I don't fall in the continous use / commercial cutting category.

The way I read it, Briggs claims 5w-30 full syn offers the best protection over the broadest temp range with improved starting (i.e. in cold temps) with less oil consumption, implying there may be oil consumption, just less so.

Interestingly, for the most punishing conditions above 20F (commercial and continuos use- pressure washers, generators) Briggs suggests 15w-50 full syn. Therefore, that would seem to be best OPE oil if a choice were made.

Why they exclude HDEO oils altogether I don't understand.

I think that a generator certainly qualifies for the "running all day or continuously" clause in the B&S recommendations. That being said, my vote would be for Rotella T6 5w40.

6starprez said:

The way I read it, Briggs claims 5w-30 full syn offers the best protection over the broadest temp range with improved starting (i.e. in cold temps) with less oil consumption, implying there may be oil consumption, just less so.

Interestingly, for the most punishing conditions above 20F (commercial and continuos use- pressure washers, generators) Briggs suggests 15w-50 full syn. Therefore, that would seem to be best OPE oil if a choice were made.

Why they exclude HDEO oils altogether I don't understand.
Actually, anything you don't normally run in the winter would make 15w50 look like the better choice. Think about it, its still thinner at start up than the old stalwart recommendation SAE 30.

Decided to break her in with DELO 400 LE 15W-40. Zinc and Phosphorus looks very nice. After 5 hours, I'll change the oil and filter and use a stash of DELO 400 SD 15W-30 that I found at a good price; filter will be a Baldwin B7165.

DELO 400 LE SAE Grade 15W-40
Product Number 222220
SDS Number 17108
Density at 15°C, kg/L 0.8806
Viscosity, Kinematic
mm²/s at 40°C 131
mm²/s at 100°C 15.7
Viscosity, Cold Crank, °C/mPa.s -20/6400
Viscosity, MRV, °C/mPa.s -25/26,400
Viscosity Index 126
Flash Point, °C(°F), minimum > 204(> 399)
Pour Point, °C(°F) -33(-27)
Sulfated Ash, mass % 1.0
Base Number, mgKOH/g,
ASTM D2896 9.3
Phosphorus, mass % 0.12
Sulfur, mass % 0.32
Zinc, mass % 0.13

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back