Best Way To Clean Tires ?

Before applying my new Surf City Beyond Black Tire Dressing - what's the best way to clean tires first ?

I use Westley's Bleche-Wite with a stiff scrubbing brush. Spray it on, scrub them, and rinse off. Seems to get them pretty clean and ready for tire shine.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
I just use soapy water and a stiff brush. Works good

+1

The stiff brush is the common denominator here. Add most any cleaner and it'll work. The part I dislike the most about doing tires is having to move the truck twice, once during cleaning and the again when applying dressing, in order to get that bottom section.
But all is good when done.

Add a bit more soap to the wash bucket (after washing the car) and use a stiff brush.

Originally Posted By: Bear
The stiff brush is the common denominator here. Add most any cleaner and it'll work. The part I dislike the most about doing tires is having to move the truck twice, once during cleaning and the again when applying dressing, in order to get that bottom section.
But all is good when done.

Strange. I used a rather soft yet firm brush with long bristles so I'm able to reach / scrub the bottom of the tire during cleaning. Now when applying tire dressing with my foam applicator, it can't reach the bottom so I'll do all four and then release the hand brake and let the car roll a few inches, exposing the bottoms and then I quickly take care of those areas. Never imagined moving the car during cleaning though. Get a brush with a longer reach to avoid the headache.

OP, I spray a light coat of Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner diluted slightly to be less harsh on my rims / painted brake calipers on the dry tires / rims and allow to soak for 20-30 seconds before blasting with the hose to remove the now loose brake dust, etc and then proceed with the same Meguiars Gold Class car wash soap as I use on the rest of the car. The wax in the soap adds a layer of protection to the rims / other surfaces. Been doing it this way since I could reach the clutch pedal.
19.gif

Originally Posted By: Bear
The part I dislike the most about doing tires is having to move the truck twice, once during cleaning and the again when applying dressing, in order to get that bottom section.

I generally apply "Forever Black" tire dye once and rarely have to repeat the process. This was one of my little pet peeves, too. I just got out my floor jack last time and jacked up each corner of the car, applied the dye, and moved on to the next. I wish I had thought of doing that years ago.

Stoners Tarminator after you clean them with some soapy water. That will get the brown off them and some pros use it.

This is what I use to clean tires, diluted with water 1:1 -

140018479-1.jpg

Does a great job, and as long as you don't use it too strong or let it dwell for too long, it doesn't seem to hurt the rubber.

I have also used Meguiar's D101 APC, diluted 1:3 with water.

Sorry noob here to detailing. What is the purpose of cleaning a tire (outside of spraying it with water or car wash soap) if you add a dressing to it that will likely add a shine and make the tire look darker? My thinking is you don't want to use chemicals on the sidewalls that can dry out the rubber or make it brittle?

Hi noob at detailing. The purpose of cleaning the sidewall of the rubber is to simply... clean the rubber before you apply a dressing. No one in their right mind would put on a tire dressing on a dirty, brake dust filled or muddy tire.

As long as you use either tire / rim specific cleaner or just a mildly all purpose cleaner or even soap and water, you won't damage or dry out the rubber. I've been doing it for years and always run my tires until bald with no dry rot in sight.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Before applying my new Surf City Beyond Black Tire Dressing - what's the best way to clean tires first ?

I been using Surf City Beyond Steel wheel cleaner, it cleans both the tire and rim and says it's safe for all wheels.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Hi noob at detailing. The purpose of cleaning the sidewall of the rubber is to simply... clean the rubber before you apply a dressing. No one in their right mind would put on a tire dressing on a dirty, brake dust filled or muddy tire.

As long as you use either tire / rim specific cleaner or just a mildly all purpose cleaner or even soap and water, you won't damage or dry out the rubber. I've been doing it for years and always run my tires until bald with no dry rot in sight.

Makes sense, thank you sir

This is what I use to clean tires, diluted with water 1:1 -

140018479-1.jpg

Does a great job, and as long as you don't use it too strong or let it dwell for too long, it doesn't seem to hurt the rubber.

I have also used Meguiar's D101 APC, diluted 1:3 with water.
I've been spritzing that stuff on my tires and wheels for a long time, straight out of the bottle, but then rinsing it off almost immediately with the high-pressure spray. It's strong; when I used it once full strength in the bathtub to clean rubber floor mats, the fumes really got to me. Now I water it down if I use it indoors.

Back