MB C300 W204 Mobil 1 OW40 10,000km UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello!

Any thoughts on this UOA? The balance shaft issue isn't a problem on this engine (allegedly). I did idle for 15-20 minutes every now and then in the hot summer or cold winter, and I do drive my car hard (redlining pretty often on the highway) - but only do so when the car engine is at operating temperature. Not sure why iron is so high. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

80-uoa_705b5f926f45fbb33066f2abe4521269805de691.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I should also add:

This vehicle has been running Mobil 1 0W40 since the first oil change at 6,000km. I've also done oil changes basically every 5-7000km since then. The ONLY difference is that the last oil change had an interval of 13,000 km (my mistake). I would have never let it run that far but I forgot to do a change. Technically the oil change interval for this engine in Canada is 20,000km, although ROW is 10,000 miles or ~15,000km.

Oil filter and such are all OEM.

No top up oil? That's a pretty healthy TBN at 10k kms. Maybe try a new UOA without the high rpms. No fun I know, but if the wear metal comes down then at least you know it's just from driving it hard.

Exactly how many times are you at redline or in the 5k+ rpm or more zone?

I'm impressed that Blackstone knew about the balance possible shaft issues with this engine.
What model year is it? (W204's were made from 2007-2014, but the 3.0L V6 was only on the earlier ones.)

With that much iron showing, get rid of that V6 and drop in a 6.2L M156 V8 AMG for 0-60mph in 3.9 seconds!!!

Indeed your report looks great except for the Fe.

Originally Posted By: KL31
No top up oil?
Report says 0.32 quarts.

No top up oil? That's a pretty healthy TBN at 10k kms. Maybe try a new UOA without the high rpms. No fun I know, but if the wear metal comes down then at least you know it's just from driving it hard.

Exactly how many times are you at redline or in the 5k+ rpm or more zone?

Thanks for your reply. It's been years since I've been on this board! Great to see the community alive and healthy.

I'd say a solid 50% of my drives are >200kms. During this time, I'd say I'm revving it to almost redline maybe 4-5 times an hour to pass some moron or to blow off steam.

When I'm around town (grocery runs), I'll seldom exceed 3000 rpm, but if the engine is warm, I just might rev it to 5000 rpm from a red light. (once during this trip)

Yes, I know, I should have bought a C63 but that's just sad to use in this freaking police state.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
I'm impressed that Blackstone knew about the balance possible shaft issues with this engine.
What model year is it? (W204's were made from 2007-2014, but the 3.0L V6 was only on the earlier ones.)

With that much iron showing, get rid of that V6 and drop in a 6.2L M156 V8 AMG for 0-60mph in 3.9 seconds!!!

Indeed your report looks great except for the Fe.

No top up oil?
Report says 0.32 quarts.

Correct. 0.32 quarts added (I measured).

This is a 2012 MY vehicle, and thus that issue is now allegedly no longer a concern for me.

It is important (I believe), to not that the engine is at operating temperature until I rev it. I seldom exceed 2500rpm until the engine is at operating temp (E.g. hot). While I don't have an oil guage handy, the water temp is maxed out on the thermostat for a solid 15 minutes or so prior to me driving aggressively.

The acceptable limits for iron is 150PPM. With the WOT runs, iron may stay in the 20-30PPM range.

Originally Posted By: tig1
The acceptable limits for iron is 150PPM. With the WOT runs, iron may stay in the 20-30PPM range.

Thanks so I guess I'm in the clear...should I leave my oil change interval at 10k as suggested or should I push it, especially given the high TBN left and also the lack of fuel dilution and high flashpoint temps?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
How high do you rev it up to? Sounds like the parking valets around here.

I'd consider driving aggressively as upshifting from 5000rpm or higher

Originally Posted By: vgliou

Thanks so I guess I'm in the clear...should I leave my oil change interval at 10k as suggested or should I push it, especially given the high TBN left and also the lack of fuel dilution and high flashpoint temps?

If you are going to do more UOAs then I would try 8K(miles)next time.

Thanks, yes, I absolutely will do more UOAs. So just to confirm you are suggesting I push it to about 13,000km which is 30% more than what the one that I posted here.

Thanks, yes, I absolutely will do more UOAs. So just to confirm you are suggesting I push it to about 13,000km which is 30% more than what the one that I posted here.

The oil is certainly up to the task of much higher OCIs. In cases like yours, UOAs can be helpful.

This oil, giving high iron?!

Just iron...

Some rust happening?

Daily driven or weekend car?

Last edited:
Sorry didn't see the makeup oil note. 0.32 is very low for 10,000kms.

Definitely push for more kms. I keep thinking 10,000kms is a lot but the UOA here are commonly pushing over 6k miles which is over 10,000kms.

Since you do many highway kms, going to 13,000 should be easy, probably 15k without much issue providing you do some UOA to confirm.

Originally Posted By: OPR4H
This oil, giving high iron?!

Just iron...

Some rust happening?

Daily driven or weekend car?

Daily driver, sir.

Quote:
The oil is certainly up to the task of much higher OCIs. In cases like yours, UOAs can be helpful.

Sorry, can you please explain, in what sense are these UOAs useful? I'm thankful I did this because it taught me a few things since it's my first UOA on this vehicle. However, if iron continues to be high due to my penchant for WOT, then I guess I should stick to an oil change around this interval. Thus, I don't see (if the iron level holds the same for future tests) how UOAs may be particularly helpful because in this case all it told me was...

"I drive my car hard. Don't wait until the manufacturer's oil change interval to do an oil change"..

Quote:

Sorry, can you please explain, in what sense are these UOAs useful? I'm thankful I did this because it taught me a few things since it's my first UOA on this vehicle. However, if iron continues to be high due to my penchant for WOT, then I guess I should stick to an oil change around this interval. Thus, I don't see (if the iron level holds the same for future tests) how UOAs may be particularly helpful because in this case all it told me was...

"I drive my car hard. Don't wait until the manufacturer's oil change interval to do an oil change"..

Most cheap UOAs tell more about oil contamination, like high fuel, dirt, coolant. Other than that, not much value. That's why I don't waste money on UOAs. Now, if I suspected coolant in the oil, or excess fuel, then I would do a UOA to confirm contamination or not.

Last edited:

Quote:

Most cheap UOAs tell more about oil contamination, like high fuel, dirt, coolant. Other than that, not much value. That's why I don't waste money on UOAs. Now, if I suspected coolant in the oil, or excess fuel, then I would do a UOA to confirm contamination or not.

Interesting. That information that is net new to me as I clearly do not have the extent of experience that you have given the participation you've had on this board versus me.

I always have thought and regarded Blackstone Labs as a very reputable vendor, but never thought that one gets what they paid when it comes to UOAs. Out of curiosity, what vendor can I choose for more detailed/accurate results and any idea $ wise how much we're talking about?

Thanks sir.

(and not all is lost when it comes to this UOA. I was very concerned/curious about flashpoint and fuel dilution as I had a car before that had direct injection and that shredded my beloved GC 0w30 very quickly)

vgliou, I do think iron ppm concentrations are illuminating. Except, there is almost nothing that can be done about it.
Doesn't the Mercedes have an Oil Quality Electronic Sensor, like BMWs? Those can detect anti-freeze coolant contamination in the oil, and gross viscosity changes, all of which is good to alert the driver about.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
vgliou, I do think iron ppm concentrations are illuminating. Except, there is almost nothing that can be done about it.
Doesn't the Mercedes have an Oil Quality Electronic Sensor, like BMWs? Those can detect anti-freeze coolant contamination in the oil, and gross viscosity changes, all of which is good to alert the driver about.

Not really. This model goes off by mileage only. I do know that some models have the sensor you're referencing, but this model doesn't. It will tell me if I need to top up oil (if I need >1L), but that's about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back