sulfated ash less then .85% or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok was reading another thread about dd 2stroke here. And one post was mentionning delo 100 . So I went on the www and found said oil. It mention a dd standard of .85 % ash. So I m like we re modern so new oil must make the cut. I go on American petroleum institute ? Nada! No data about ash % on the oil they checked. I go on valcmvoline, only their conventional meet the .85% ash (.80) synthetic ? Nope (1%) ok now this is strange. An old old old standard is supposed to be met right? The % of sulfate ash that Detroit diesel asked back then was no joke . So far itlook like oil with sodium pass and the others don't. Could any explain?

Because this is a CF-2 (AKA Detroit Diesel 2-stroke) oil is why the SA levels are so low-if you check the Delo 400, the levels will be higher, it's to minimize ash deposits on the exhaust ports. The average DD 2 stroke goes through a fair amount of oil anyway (unless it's a brand new rebuild), so the low TBN isn't a big deal.

Last edited:
True but the basic still apply. High tbn . Less then .85% ash . It's very specific . Back then they didn't have what we got today. I ll have to check into this . I ll stick with 5w30 but I ll try to go low ash sn-rc.(list will be short I suspect.
Egr,dpf,exhaust burner etc. Lot of stuff that goes wrong too often on big truck . This might be a fair hint from dd of back then

Last edited:
Found the info .yes d874 apply. Also dd also has a table page 10 out of 48 depending on fuel type etc .fuel table is the next page
http://www.canadacleanfuels.com/pdfs/2004_OEM_detroit diesel biodiesel statement 2004.pdf
Yep it went as far down as .8 % ash (marine)
Was surprised to find this .usefull info .mod should look it up since .people think cf-2 and later are compatible . As said in the pdf no they aren't . You got cf then cf-4 etc but cf-2 ? It's complicated.hopefully this help others

Last edited:
A bit of explaining . From what I read in there? As sulfur level in fuel goes down and d874 sulfur ash goes down ?you can lower TBN need
This is the part I wasn't getting about tbn number being lower in some spec like euro etc

I used to . No I just use its basic precept on my car .so far ? It's right on the money mostly . The sulfate ash recommendation of less then a certain point awesome ( I used lowest value recommended on marine applied to car oil and I ended up with the total classic .an oil I was ignoring since better sounding name I knew .mobil .pennzoil etc . That was till I found out ELF IS PART OF THE TOTAL consortium and that total is in formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back