noise in new Fram Ultra filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ordered a 6 pack of Fram ultra XG8a filters on line. Price is right at $24.71 for the 6 pk, shipping included. The thing is, 2 of the filters rattle (more of a clunk, clunk) when I shake them. Otherwise they seem perfect, and all the boxes were sealed, no dents or rust or anything, just like uptown. But a rattle can't be good can it? I figure I will try to exchange them locally. Has anybody else ever run into this, and if so, did you happen to figure out what caused it??

Last edited:
I wouldn't use them. Did you order them on eBay? If so contact the vendor, state your case and he'll replace the bad filters. I ordered a 6 pack and 2 were dented and replaced with no hassle at all.

I did order them on ebay. Did you have to return the bad ones? I sent an e-mail to the vendor, as he said to do, so will see what he says.

He didn't ask for them back. He did want pictures, which I provided. In your case pictures aren't going to help. See what he says, they were quick to make it right.

Originally Posted By: old1
I did order them on ebay. Did you have to return the bad ones? I sent an e-mail to the vendor, as he said to do, so will see what he says.
If they don't want them, cut them open-I bet you'll find collapsed leaf springs in them.

I've had springs break and come loose in filters that were dropped during shipping.

How much is shipping on six larger filters like that? $10? If it is about 10 I would ask the question, where is someone getting the Fram Ultras? Ebay and paypal come to about 10% for fees, so he got $22 from you. Minus the shipping, he got $12. With no profit he had to buy them for $2 each. For $6 measly profit he had to get them for $1 each. Whatever that could mean I don't know.
I wonder how far a filter would have to fall to deform the leaf retainer spring, 10 feet?

Seems to me they almost had to be a mfg defect, as the shipping box and the filter box with factory seal, and the filters themselves, show no sign of damage.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... I wonder how far a filter would have to fall to deform the leaf retainer spring, 10 feet?
The Ultra may be less sensitive, but not very far in the case of some Purolators. I spanked one on the dome with my hand hard enough to deform the spring enough that it rattled. (The reason for doing that was to let air enter through the anti-drainback valve so it could drain. That worked ok, as long as I didn't hit them too hard.)

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
... I wonder how far a filter would have to fall to deform the leaf retainer spring, 10 feet?
The Ultra may be less sensitive, but not very far in the case of some Purolators. I spanked one on the dome with my hand hard enough to deform the spring enough that it rattled. (The reason for doing that was to let air enter through the anti-drainback valve so it could drain. That worked ok, as long as I didn't hit them too hard.)

I ordered a 6 pack of Fram ultra XG8a filters on line. Price is right at $24.71 for the 6 pk, shipping included. The thing is, 2 of the filters rattle (more of a clunk, clunk) when I shake them. Otherwise they seem perfect, and all the boxes were sealed, no dents or rust or anything, just like uptown. But a rattle can't be good can it? I figure I will try to exchange them locally. Has anybody else ever run into this, and if so, did you happen to figure out what caused it??

$4 x 6 for a Fram Ultra doesn't sound right. They might contain various defects.
There comes a time when one must ask himself if the price is too cheap, then something might be wrong with them.

No Ebay Ultra deals below normal price-reason for me..... not when the price is cut more than one-half. That raises a red flag and I'm not comfortable with purchases like that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

$4 x 6 for a Fram Ultra doesn't sound right. They might contain various defects.
There comes a time when one must ask himself if the price is too cheap, then something might be wrong with them.

Possibly counterfeit?

I'm not saying I'd rather walk into Walmart and pay $9 for only one. But that's what I would do, being I have used the lesser stout Tough Guards for two OCIs (2X6) anyways.

Seems to me they almost had to be a mfg defect, as the shipping box and the filter box with factory seal, and the filters themselves, show no sign of damage.

Typically they're old stock, or from stores that went belly up and he bought them for pennies on the dollar.

On a oil filter, how would you know it is the real deal or not without opening it up? My C alarm bells are going off reading this thread. There is a ton of knockoff stuff on the Bay and the River. Buyer beware.

Yes they are defective for sure. I stuck a pencil down the center, and can move the tube around in there. The other 4 of the 6 seem ok. I am sure they are either old stock, or closeout from somewhere, as the boxes are a little ratty. I took the 2 bad ones to Wal Mart and told them they were defective, and exchanged them for 2 new ones. I would hope they will return them to Fram.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
On a oil filter, how would you know it is the real deal or not without opening it up? My C alarm bells are going off reading this thread. There is a ton of knockoff stuff on the Bay and the River. Buyer beware.
These would be hard to counterfeit-the date code is applied by laser etching, looks like a hologram. I bought 6 XG2s off eBay, other than ugly boxes & one with a dent, they were all fine.

Walmart provides two new filters for defective ebay filters at no charge. Well OK then, sorry the story got worse IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back