castrol magnatec syn blend vs full syn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Walmart has both the syn blend and full syn 5 qt jugs for $17.88. The packaging looks identical with the exception of the oil type distinction. This being said, how different is the blend compared to the full syn? I don't see any pqia information, nor msds forms on either that actually tell me what the difference is.

Thanks!!

The Magatec darling here has been the syn-blend 5w30 which has posted multiple stellar UOA's. But even that is now showing up on shelves labeled as a full syn, so that's what I'd be after if I were you.

As far as I know the only difference between the blend and full syn versions of Magnatec are base stocks. Not sure if there is a full syn Magnatec UOA/VOA on here or not.

Some mentioned here that it is labeled as full synthetic now just to be able to meet the new Dexos requirements. Essentially the same stuff, just labeled differently for legal purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a magnatec promoter as the first batch I ran helped the Nissan 2.5 aceive good power and smoothness though it lost fuel mileage. Also Magnatec was not great in the winter being very viscous at warmup, but not bad in the summer. I had to blend in 1/2 qt 5w20 Magnatec syn to get viscosity in line on the Rogue for winter.
I have QSUD 10w30 in there now. LTA Fuel mileage jumped +2.5MPG AVE over the magnetic driving this week.

Curious if the 5w30 magnatec is called Castrol GTX Magnatec 0r something else.

Dexos1 doesn't require majority synthetic base - at least it DIDNT.

Also, come on! even M1 5w230 is not technically synthetic.

BP SDS: See section 3

http://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/B980F040FF37F2AA802580AC0058E517/$File/11188591.pdf

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Dexos 1 doesn't require majority synthetic base. Also, come on! even M1 5w230 is not technically synthetic.

It most certainly is "technically synthetic".

Hydroisomerised petroleum distillates have not been and SAE recognized as synthetic group.

Only group IV and V.

M1 5w30 is NOT majority group IV and V base.

SAE J357 no longer defines "synthetic" and hasn't for over 20 years. Show me where the SAE has such a definition.

Strong armed by the Petroleum Industry.

SAD.

Neither You or the big industry boys are going to pull ME into ALTERNATE FACT moronicity.

Last edited:
No, Its brainwashing. YOU are considered an Idiot by the industry.

Enjoy your Koolaid.

I'm done with your circular "discourse".

Last edited:
Shots fired lol

Well, if I find the syn flavor, I'll most likely get that, since they are the same price...Plus, I get 2 free tickets to the new F&F movie.... LOL

No, Its brainwashing. YOU are considered an Idiot by the industry.

Enjoy your Koolaid.

I'm done with your circular "discourse".

Thanks for calling me an idiot, you're quite the individual. There is only one person in this discourse going in circles as you describe. Just because someone called you out on a wrong statement you made makes it OK to call them an idiot?

The individuals that continue to argue over a finished oil's performance based solely on base stock composition (which they rarely know anyway) are not dealing in reality. How is the performance of M1 5W-30 deficient due to the base stock formula? What exactly is the composition of M1 5W-30 anyway?

Also maybe later you can go back to that other thread and answer the question about you saying "grpIII just fly of the cam and bounce off the cyl wall like BB's".

Sounds like someone needs to put on their aluminum foil hat. I agree with you kschachn, there is no reason for the name calling.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The Magatec darling here has been the syn-blend 5w30 which has posted multiple stellar UOA's. But even that is now showing up on shelves labeled as a full syn, so that's what I'd be after if I were you.

As far as I know the only difference between the blend and full syn versions of Magnatec are base stocks. Not sure if there is a full syn Magnatec UOA/VOA on here or not.

Both my Wal Marts dropped it. Edge black jug and gold jug now. Glad I opted for DELO

Interesting. I was just in Wallies the other day and saw all three Castrol oils but the Magnatec had the most shelf space, albeit just a little. It has to be a regional thing.

Or whatever sells better
wink.gif

No more MS5K and MS HM at any Wal Marts near me

Super Tech and DELO 10w30 for me; simple choice and relatively cheap
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back