4Runner:High Idle After Cleaning. IAC Calibration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Toyota 4Runner. After doing a full throttle body cleaning (including the IAC), my warm idle was at >2000 rpm. It seems that cleaning out the extra carbon probably allowed more airflow than before for any given throttle position, and also that the clearances in the throttle body has probably loosened over time.

After some fiddling around, I ended up adding a small return spring to force the throttle body close better. This helped with lowering the idle down to normal (700 rpm) but the disadvantage is that it makes the throttle feel heavy.

Gradually over a few days, I was albe to slowly loosen up this return spring tension more and more until I was able to remove it completely. It seems there must be some gradual relearning process that the ECU does to control the IAC (idle air control) valve to maintain idle. There is no idle set screw and pulling power to reset the ECU does not appear to affect the idle.

My idle rpm is now 1000 with the makeshift return spring removed. Normal idle should be 700. Does anyone know how the ECU relearns the idle? Does this just take alot of idling or is there some way to force it?

I've seen this on GMs after a throttle clean. fast idle looks like a vacuum leak too.

I'd disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and let the computers reset to default.

In my case it took 4 days for the idle to come back down.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
Found this interesting.

https://www.yotatech.com/f2/my-high-idle-cured-258318/#post52033152

Yea I actually did the washer mod already to take up some of the clearances. I actually cross posted on Toyota-4Runner.org forums in a similar "high idle cured" thread.

Already tried resetting the ECU. These last few days the idle has auto corrected itself significantly from 2000+ rpm to 1000...but it doesnt seem to go below that. 700 is normal. Or maybe I need to wait longer...

First the obvious the throttle cable needs to be fully slack when the gas pedal is not pressed. Is there an air bleed valve? Close it down if there is. Those look like a big flat-head screw in the side of the throttle body. It bypasses air around the throttle plate like the IACV does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back