0w-8 oil - Lubes and Greases magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
At this rate we should see a 0w-0 oil pretty soon.

or a 5w-4.... no reason the winter rating needs to be lower or equal to the summer rating.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
How much thinner can it get? I mean for how long is this trend of reducing viscosity going to continue?

My idea for many years has been to use engine coolant as the lubricant...

Originally Posted By: THafeez
... "lifetime" oils by 2025. Complete with sealed engine and no dipstick.

I will drill a hole, drain it all out, and refill exclusively with 20w-50 just to tick 'em off.

My claim IS completely substantiated!
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman

Plenty of cars already spec coolant in their oil! Subarus, old Neons, the 3100/3400 GM engine...
banana2.gif
27.gif

How much thinner can it get? I mean for how long is this trend of reducing viscosity going to continue?

or using engine oil as coolant... if you got a coolant leak towards the sump you don't want to solve
smile.gif
You wouldn't need a thermostat anymore either

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic

or using engine oil as coolant... if you got a coolant leak towards the sump you don't want to solve
smile.gif
You wouldn't need a thermostat anymore either

I worked on an oil cooled diesel engine many years ago. That is where I came up with the idea to use coolant as a lubricant. Oil is a horrible fluid to use as a coolant.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Plenty of cars already spec coolant in their oil! Subarus, old Neons, the 3100/3400 GM engine...
banana2.gif
27.gif

lol.gif
quite true

So when are negative SAE oils coming out?
I suppose Dr. Haas is excited about trying ot out in his ferrari
lol.gif

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
How on earth will a 0W16 (or below) ever meet a hot weather temperature spec of say 100 degrees F. ?
How on earth will a 0W16 (or below) ever meet a hot weather temperature spec of say 100 degrees F. ?

I don't think it will be a problem. Synthetic oils will keep getting stronger and better. Engine efficiency will keep getting better as long as the combustion engine will still be mass produced (probably won't last much beyond maybe another 10-20 years max)

I can see future engines coming out using Koenigsegg's Camless Engine technology, thus further reducing the need for oil as lubrication. Oil will only be needed to Lube the Crank and pistons, so it won't be working hard at all, if you think about it.

Originally Posted By: Artem
... I can see future engines coming out using Koenigsegg's Camless Engine technology, thus further reducing the need for oil as lubrication. Oil will only be needed to Lube the Crank and pistons, so it won't be working hard at all, if you think about it.
I think it will still be exposed to blowby and the challenges it poses to engine oil.

I run M1 0-20 year round. I have run my engines in 109F temps with no problems.

So when are negative SAE oils coming out?

More likely 0W-0, 00W-0 etc., the way wire gauges are done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back