2000 Buick Century Radiator drain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick dumb question for you guys, is the petcock on the 2000 Buick century replaceable?

My mothers is seeping a bit, and being that it's plastic I can't tighten it anymore without risking it breaking. I also am not sure if I can remove it since when I opened it all the way last time I recall resistance and I feared breaking it.

Just an honest question before I crawl underneath to fix it for good, hoping someone knows what I'm talking about

Petcocks are almost always replaceable. They totally unscrew, there's nothing preventing them from doing that in most cases.

Also RockAuto sells a replacement petcock for that make, model and year which I don't think they would do if you couldn't.

If it's leaking it's more likely the o-ring than the plastic I think.

Also sometimes people lose the o-ring too since it sticks to the pipe when people totally unscrew the petcock, not realize that it's there, and then the gushing coolant pops the o-ring out never to be seen again (well it's in the coolant but they would have to check).

Last edited:
If you can find a replacement. If its the original gm one you can buy one. But every aftermarket radiator company has their own style. I save them from junk rads and I have a whole bucket full of different ones that you cant buy at a store.

I did see the one rockauto carries, and a local autozone has one in stock. I had the assumption that it was more of a universal item that was listed commonly amongst several makes and models.

I did try loosening it up a touch and it was no bueno, theres no in between with it.

I totally can see the O ring being the issue, that many heat cycles and with dried up coolant, it probably doesn't seal as well as it should.

Thanks for the help fellas, I'll be running to autozone this weekend to grab the dorman replacement and throwing her on along with a fresh oil change. Found some Napa synthetic 5w30 on sale for super cheap, I think I grabbed a whole case for about $50 or a little less, it's been a few weeks since, I know it was around $3 a quart.

Originally Posted By: JimmyJohns
I did see the one rockauto carries, and a local autozone has one in stock. I had the assumption that it was more of a universal item that was listed commonly amongst several makes and models.

I did try loosening it up a touch and it was no bueno, theres no in between with it.

I totally can see the O ring being the issue, that many heat cycles and with dried up coolant, it probably doesn't seal as well as it should.

Thanks for the help fellas, I'll be running to autozone this weekend to grab the dorman replacement and throwing her on along with a fresh oil change. Found some Napa synthetic 5w30 on sale for super cheap, I think I grabbed a whole case for about $50 or a little less, it's been a few weeks since, I know it was around $3 a quart.

Eesh I don't know about going Dorman with this one. If it's the Dorman Help! line, I'd rather go OEM. They're about good for things like radiator mount bushings, I don't know if I'd trust them for sealing or anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back