MOBIL 1 20K oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got 2 Mobil 1 20K oil filters from work basically for free... At work they have a deal when you buy 5 QTs Of Mobil 1 oil and you get a Mobil 1 20K oil filter for 29$ well there is always a guy who says I dont want the filter I only want the oil and I always have 1 filter handy that just so happens to fit my car near by so I can scan it and give them that deal and they just give me the filter.

** I Dont always do that** Most times I just put them back on the shelf... but I wanted to see this filter..
I have 2 so I might cut one open.

11m8f3m.jpg

15xoc4y.jpg

Here is a cartridge filter I took a pic of at walmart and it dont look like anything special.

2h4zs5h.jpg

Has anyone else cut one of these filters open yet?

Someone posted one here a bit ago. Pleat spacing was looking like the tearolater, making me wander is the media prone to the same troubles as the puro brand.

Most retailers have policies against doing what you are describing. Hopefully you considered that before risking your job over an oil filter. With that said, maybe you asked your boss and it's ok.

I've been using the ordinary Mobil 1 oil filter for 20K miles on my V8 4Runner. It's changed every other 10K oil change. I use an M1-209 which is longer. The idea is to hold more crud if any and allow the same about of oil to flow just a little bit slower through the media.

I have not seen the extended performance version but I will look for it next time I need a filter.

Link

I had the older style gray colored M-104 oil filter on my dad's Honda for 18K miles. I never cut it open but with multiple drain and oil refills, I left the filter on for 4 years.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Doesn't it mess up inventory if you put them back on the shelf?

I would imagine a parts store would have a fair amount of shoplifting that would mess up their inventory more then an employee putting an oil filter back on the shelf.
OP: Thanks for the pix.

Last edited:
I support providing a home for unwanted filters! It is included when someone buys the oil, why put it back? Doesn't matter to me if it's the customer or a $12/hr employee. (Unless the customer isn't notified)

I've never heard of someone not taking a filter that was included in an oil deal.
Maybe wanting to swap for a different brand but never just giving it back to the store.

I would think most retailers would not be happy with you doing that. At one store I worked at for hobby money, someone used a plastic gas can for store use. I ended up taking it home as it was used and they cannot have a non-safety gas can with gas in the store. But I walked out with the store manager. It was give it to me or throw in trash. With gas vapors, it was safer to give it to me.

Originally Posted By: RedOakRanch
I support providing a home for unwanted filters! It is included when someone buys the oil, why put it back? Doesn't matter to me if it's the customer or a $12/hr employee. (Unless the customer isn't notified)

I totally agree with you on this one. If during checkout the customer doesn't want it, I'd set it aside for personal use too. I doubt the auto parts store really hope to profit that extra few bucks from one customer out of 1,000,000 who doesn't want the oil filter. Never heard of it.

That customer can collect them and then sell on Craigslist for a profit. Lol. Idiot.

Don't cut the thing open until its USED, that's a BIG WASTE. I think we all know what a chap labs or a Purolator looks like. Also, plenty of pix on the web already.

I am running one now as I had an ODD engine resonance appear at 2K rpm with the FRAM TG, Its GONE with the M1-110. Mystery.
The M10110 is a Champ labs type build - NOT pure-oil-leaker. Champs labs NON ECORE have been the most troble free of any aftermarket filter Ive used. I didnt want to spend 9 bucks on a 4 dollar filter but ... whatever. The Nissan choices are garbage.

Last edited:
I would think most retailers would not be happy with you doing that. At one store I worked at for hobby money, someone used a plastic gas can for store use. I ended up taking it home as it was used and they cannot have a non-safety gas can with gas in the store. But I walked out with the store manager. It was give it to me or throw in trash. With gas vapors, it was safer to give it to me.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
I would imagine a parts store would have a fair amount of shoplifting that would mess up their inventory more then an employee putting an oil filter back on the shelf.

Keeping inventory is one of the first accounting practices which must be instituted to run a business in a logical manner. I'm sure that auto parts stores track inventory.

The next oil filter and oil combo I am going to give the employee the filter. I have 5 right now on standby so I really don't need it. I have no qualm with doing it. I have a Mobil 1 110, Fram TG 7317, Microgard 57356, Wix 57356, and a Purolator 14612. So I am set for awhile. Nothing wrong with sharing extra stuff.

Originally Posted By: fsdork
Most retailers have policies against doing what you are describing. Hopefully you considered that before risking your job over an oil filter. With that said, maybe you asked your boss and it's ok.

absolutly...

like i said most time put back on shelf.. however it screw the inventory up.. However I make customer put outside on trash..

Then there no problem....

customer can buy / giving anything to anyone.. sorta like a TIP...

I saved customer $$$ thats what the customer wanted.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
The next oil filter and oil combo I am going to give the employee the filter. I have 5 right now on standby so I really don't need it. I have no qualm with doing it. I have a Mobil 1 110, Fram TG 7317, Microgard 57356, Wix 57356, and a Purolator 14612. So I am set for awhile. Nothing wrong with sharing extra stuff.

YUPP thats what many customers say... They say the exact same thing.....

they dont want the oil filter they want the oil...

Then I say only way I can get your deal is with oil filter.. Then they say I dont want filter.

Then I say Ok.. I ring up filter say you have the deal... if you dont want filter set it on trash.

most times they do.... most times I put filter back on shelf..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back