time to replace radiator hoses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all:

I still have the original OEM radiator hoses on my 1995 Maxima with about 68k miles. So we are talking 22 year hoses at this point but low miles. The car has received regular coolant drain and refills using Nissan coolant and distilled water. Hoses are visually in good shape and don't feel spongy all all, but do have a build-up of white chalk-like color on the which I understand happens routinely with rubber. Time to change them at the next coolant change?

If you lived someplace quite hot, I'd change them as soon as possible.

Thinking you might not, but it couldn't hurt to change them to be safe....

Unfortunately, parts store replacement hoses these days are not comparable to OEM quality.

I wouldn't change them unless there are obvious signs of wear or damage.

What is the 4 letter designation for the chemical which denotes long-lived hose rubber? Was said "super rubber" available 22 years ago?

Your hoses are discoloring. Change them.

REMEMBER: Tech advancements have cowed automotive people into having no memory of changing hoses, knowledge of hose-life expectancy or favored brand.

>300K I'm told.

INSPIRATIONAL ANECDOTE: Jeep hoses looked OK....changed 'em at 150K...new Gates rubber looked 1,000% better....old hoses gathered at the end of the day looked like crispy garbage.

Buy good quality.

You might not need to change them next coolant change, but you should replace them if you ever need a new radiator, or even if you replace the thermostat. basically any job that requires you to remove the hose.

And how is the radiator support? Is it all rusted? (very common on these cars!)

Change. Before it gets hot out...or you'll be stranded like the guy I saw last summer, pulled into a 7-11 with coolant gushing out of his lower radiator hose....

Thanks all. I will definitely go high quality when I do the job. When I did my Toyota I got typical auto parts store quality and they were a terrible fit and had to take them back. I supposed good hoses are out there but I'll go to my dealer for OEM hoses when I do the job.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Thanks for pointing that out. I am aware of this issue. It is in perfect shape. Colorado is super dry and I have only driven it through winter road salt a few times.

For Japanese makes like Nissan you can usually find aftermarket versions of the same OEM hoses from the same OEM suppliers like Dayco. I had good luck with my Altima.

At that age I would replace the hoses just because it's so easy and cheap to do so. I'd recommend going to RockAuto and looking at the pre-formed hoses and looking for OEM suppliers on there. Don't get anything from the local auto store that's cut to length or something, just flat out won't work and cutting it wrong can weaken it. You'll want something as close to original as possible in terms of pre-formed shape and length, no cutting should be necessary.

If you do end up changing the original hose(s), you may find that an original hose has a metal coil spring inside. Some people claim you should keep them, others claim they're just there in the original hoses so they can vacuum the system during assembly to introduce coolant quickly without the hoses collapsing. Technically a pre-formed rigid hose should not collapse. For my Altima I got rid of the spring and it never collapsed or had an issue. I know for a fact Nissan did this a lot around that year range.

Also some brands I've used chalk up very quickly. Whenever I use Good Year hoses for example. Even side by side with other brands like Dayco I can clearly see the Dayco looks great but the Good Year became really chalky quickly, both same age. The GY turned chalky as soon as it went through a couple of heat cycles.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Unfortunately, parts store replacement hoses these days are not comparable to OEM quality.

I wouldn't change them unless there are obvious signs of wear or damage.

correct. even a gates brand hose from auto store will not be same quality as gates made oem hose.

Some of the Gates stuff is still US made. I wouldn't be surprised if they are just as good as OEM. If aftermarket isn't for you, go with Nissan parts then.

It's cheap insurance IMO.

Thanks. I was just looking it up by pouring through the Gates catalog.

Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer (The correcter you spell it, the gooder you look)

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
You might not need to change them next coolant change, but you should replace them if you ever need a new radiator, or even if you replace the thermostat. basically any job that requires you to remove the hose.

this

Change the hoses if you're going to keep the car for any length of time and want to drive with confidence. Change any other items that are still old/ OE as well.

Had hoses in one of the cars I owned from 1989. Were in fine shape when replaced.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
Had hoses in one of the cars I owned from 1989. Were in fine shape when replaced.

yeah... I think the consideration is "time at temperature". Given the low miles, it is more than likely OK. I'm not sure about the white chalky build-up however. I suspect this is a surface oxidation and not necessarily indicative of interior deterioration. Even the rubber hose that runs from the coolant overflow to the radiator has some chalky residue too.

I had bugs for 20 Yrs. So I was kinda smug about hoses. I generally run them until I see something ominous. 528es have a low coolant level light. If you obeyed that light you, would never have major troubles. The car went 350K miles on the same heater hoses. I did change most of the radiator hoses. The Rat has a single original brake hose. I have no clue as to anything else. I generally keep a gallon of pre-mixed coolant in the trunk for eventualities.

Last edited:
98 Camry with 132k that the son drives. Just changed both upper & lower radiator hoses. They were feeling soft so figured it was time to change them. Went to a Toyota place for the hoses and the new hoses didn't have as soft feeling like the old hoses. Maybe if I had done a closer comparison could the old hoses have a bit more swelling... I dunno.
I might have thought the hoses would have hardened, but not in this case.

I think the OP has a good plan, changing them at the next scheduled cooling system service. Gates, Dayco or Goodyear are good hoses, don't bother with OEM. Chances are a major brand makes the OEM hoses anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back