Burning oil so is there a leaky valve additive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm burning about a half quart every week or two. I replaced the PCV valve and have been told the culprit is most likely the valves are leaking oil. Any suggestions on an additive I can use that will help reseal the valves and stop the oil burning? There is no oil on my garage floor but the car doesn't smoke either. It runs fine but would like to minimize the oil consumption.

Its a 2003 Ford Explorer 4.6L V8 4X4. It recommends 5w20 oil. I have had it for 2 years and it has 175,000 miles. It first burned about a 1/4 quart of oil a week but now is at about a half quart per week. Don't really have a maintenance history on it other than I ran Marvel Mystery oil in it which got the sludge out of it and I replaced the PCV valve.

Did you use a Motorcraft PCV valve?

After market ones are junk. I mean an OE one won't perform miracles, but it's surely better.

How many miles per quart not days. If its taking a quart in 1000 miles dont worry about it and keep adding oil when needed.If its 200 miles per quart time for repair no additive is going to help.

If I remember correctly, those engines originally specced 5w30 oil, and were then back-specced to 5w20. One thing you could try before adding additives to the oil is to step your oil up to a high-mileage 5w30 or even 10w30 oil, or one with a stout add-pack like Rotella T4 10w30. Odds are good it will at least slow down your usage.

ATP AT205 reseal

If this stuff does not work - nothing will.

205 is the real deal - the only additive worth anything on the market.
It has worked in every engine we have used it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back