ZF 8 speed fluid and filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my RAM's transmission service. New fluid from Brian at BND, New pan/integrated filter combo with new bolts from Mopar. FYI this fluid retails for around 40 bucks a quart! BND custom blends this stuff for about half that with superior additive pkg proven in years of dealing with Audis and such with ZF units in them.

Only took about 6 quarts, relatively easy (about 1 hour), had to drop some exhaust down a bit to clear the pan. Factory fluid was astonishingly clean and beautiful at 50k hard miles in less than 2 years. The pain for me was my primitive fluid transfer pump. Took a while.

This seems like quite a filter in the pan, love the simplicity. Also seems much better than the typical rock catcher we usually find...

I have seen and heard MaxLife Mult-Vehicle ATF works fine in these 8 speeds if warranty compliance is not a major concern. Way cheaper than the bottled MOPAR unicorn tears they sell for it.

You can use Maxlife on the ZF 8-speed with confidence
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I have a ZF 8 speed in my Durango. Do we have any evidence Maxlife is ok to use in the ZF? I would love to use Maxlife, but have been using the Redline D6 ATF at a cost of about $18/qt.

Originally Posted By: wwillson
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

I have a ZF 8 speed in my Durango. Do we have any evidence Maxlife is ok to use in the ZF? I would love to use Maxlife, but have been using the Redline D6 ATF at a cost of about $18/qt.

Valvoline's Maxlife PDS and this flyer they made for CQ that list several different cars that use the ZF 8-speed saying Maxlife is ok to use in them.

Originally Posted By: ryansride2017
What did the filter/pan cost you?

I was able to get the pan and filter combo with new coated bolts for a little over 200 bucks, which was far less than regular price. About 1/2 off or so.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
ZF Lifeguard 8 retails for about $25/l, as does Ravenöl 8HP, a ZF-approved alternative.

BND custom made fluid with proprietary additives is about 16 dollars a quart or so. They have a long history of selling fluid to ZF owners.

FWIW there is a slight increase in smoothness at low speed shifts. Overall the transmission seems flawless and has excellent and responsive programming.

Glad it went well and the BND fluid seems to be working out. I'll probably go with BND, RL, or Maxlife on the Ram when the time comes. I know that guy that had the Ram Ecodiesel youtube channel used Maxlife in his for many miles without issue. Absolutely love this transmission though, so smooth and predictable.

SteveSRT8,

How did you go about filling and checking the fluid level in the unit? Similar to what ramecodiesel had posted on YouTube?

Thanks

Thanks for the information. I'm changing the filter and ATF in my 2 Series at 50k miles as well. I'll likely go with the BMW/ZF fluid only because I have the BMW CPO warranty that goes to 2020 or 100k miles.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Is there a magnet in the pan? Just curious how it looked debris wise.

Had 4 magnets! Nearly no debris, 49k miles with crazy wife driving 90% of them.

The filter here is HUGE and completely integrated into the pan so there is not much area to settle out debris...

Originally Posted By: panthermike
Glad it went well and the BND fluid seems to be working out. I'll probably go with BND, RL, or Maxlife on the Ram when the time comes. I know that guy that had the Ram Ecodiesel youtube channel used Maxlife in his for many miles without issue. Absolutely love this transmission though, so smooth and predictable.

One of the finest shifting, most responsive slushboxes I have ever felt. I think almost anyone would love it. Somehow the programming is so perfect on this platform.

Note that I have a long history with BND, completely unique additive packages and unbelievable expertise in all automotive fluids makes him the guy to talk to last. Call him sometime and he'll chat with you about your needs...

Originally Posted By: gomes512
SteveSRT8,

How did you go about filling and checking the fluid level in the unit? Similar to what ramecodiesel had posted on YouTube?

Thanks

I used a small hand pump to fill it. You just fill it till it streams out thinly, took almost exactly 6 quarts of juice...

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
No pics??????

What? When I'm crawling under the truck all greased up? My phone was as far away as I could get it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back