Valvoline Engine Armour Data Sheets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dated from 2013, this datasheet covers the 10w30, 10w40 and 15w40 "Engine Armour" products from Valvoline.

Of interest is that all three grades are definitely on the higher end of the acceptable range for their viscosity at 100ºC, particularly the xW40s on offer. The 10w30 is naturally heavier, given it carries the A3/B4 specification.

TBN of 7.2-8.2 seems a little low for oils carrying the A3/B4 specification, which should allow for long drains.
I still haven't gotten my head around NOACK, so no commentary there, and the HTHS information is irritatingly absent, although a min. of 3.5 is expected given the ACEA approval.

Engine Armour Data PDF

The 10w-30 is not A3/B4 on the data sheet. The NOACK for the 15w-40 is comparable to Group II or II+ 15w-40s, while the 10w-40 has a somewhat high NOACK for the grade.

The two euro oils meet the quite old MB 229.1.

The data sheet is from 2013 and without a stated country/market. It could be ACEA-08 formulation which was valid until late 2012. I checked a 15w-40 bottle the other day and there was no A3/B4 claim.

Last edited:
Interesting idea there, supercity.

Valvoline's site still claims A3/B4 under "Specifications / Grades / Sizes," but will have to check the bottles I have stored in the car for my upcoming oil change. Even if only good for a shorter interval, at $17.98 per 5L, I can't really complain.

It'd be great to see a VOA in 2017, but I'm not exactly willing to lay down AU$30+ for Blackstone to do their thing on unused oil. Would much rather spend that on a UOA just to see how the current fill of Penrite HPR10 went after a factory interval of about 12,000km.

From a recent Valvoline DuraBlend thread:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4343230/

Originally Posted By: SR5
OK, so I spoke to Valvoline (Australia) today over the phone. They were very helpful.

Previously in Australia, Valvoline had DuraBlend which they called a semi-synthetic and it had a higher synthetic content and better specs (e.g. A3/B4). They also had Engine Armour, which they called a synblend and it had lower synthetic content and lower specs (e.g A3/B3).

Today, the tech on the phone said that:
- DuraBlend was being phased out to the public and becoming their WorkShop / Garage / Professional series
- Engine Armour was being improved to have the same synthetic content and the same specs as the DuraBlend, it's really now DuraBlend in a different package
- DuraBlend and Engine Armour have always had the same add pack, they just differed on synthetic content, but they are now the same.
- I could expect a minimum of 30% synthetic in DuraBlend and now Engine Armour

That EngineArmour spec sheet you linked to is 2013, but the conversation above happened in 2017 and the changes (upgrade) to EngineArmour were very recent.

Valvoline Australia have always been a bit loose with their ACEA specs, claiming silly things like A3/B3/B4/C3, which is more of a recommendation than a specification.

But from memory, I recall a few years ago DuraBlend claiming A3/B4 while EngineArmour in the same viscosity only claiming A3/B3 (lower TBN I assume). Anyway I now see EngineArmour claiming A3/B4 on their web site for their new brew. So I assume it has been recently improved.

Originally Posted By: SR5
But from memory, I recall a few years ago DuraBlend claiming A3/B4 while EngineArmour in the same viscosity only claiming A3/B3 (lower TBN I assume).

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/4C3DD2AB15AEF7D580257F650021E7CC/$File/Castrol_EDGE_Professional_OE-X_5W-30_3374979_2013_10.pdf

what my dealer reckons goes in the Colorado.

Why not Castrol Magnatec Proessional MP 5w-30? Probably cheaper and so close in specs it could be the same oil. Unless you want the titanium of course. The MP isn't green either.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/4C3DD2AB15AEF7D580257F650021E7CC/$File/Castrol_EDGE_Professional_OE-X_5W-30_3374979_2013_10.pdf

what my dealer reckons goes in the Colorado.

Castrol do a better job than Valvoline, they make it clear what is a suggested application and what is a specification.

For the Castrol Edge Professional OE-X 5W30 it says,
Application: A3/B4, A3/B3, C3
Product Performance: ACEA C3, API CF/SN, BMW LL-04, MB 229.51, dexos2

So for us oil nerds, we know it's really a C3 oil but suitable for A3 applications. It's SAPS level of 0.8 % sits right on the max for C3. I would have liked to have seen the TBN in the PDS, but no such luck.

Anyway, it looks like a great oil for your new diesel ute (pick-up) and I'm sure you are happy with it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back