Honda break in oil and time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a new Accord that sat on the lot for 7-8 months.
I don't do many miles per and the Accord will probably have less than 1500 miles in it's first year.
Honda recommends going full term on initial change for the factory fill break in oil.Do I change the factory fill after the Accords one year birthday?

Honda says to go by the OLM or in one year whichever comes first. If it is brand new, regardless of how long it was on the lot, the day you drive it off the lot is your starting time.

Our odyssey was in a similar situation. I used the OLM. The van only goes about 5k miles per the OLM.

I have zero concerns about going 2 years, and 15k miles on oil in cars designed for it. Do you have an idea how long it takes to get to change time per the OLM?

If it makes you more comfortable, change when the OLM says 50%. But I'd personally wait.

Originally Posted By: Bud
Honda says to go by the OLM or in one year whichever comes first. If it is brand new, regardless of how long it was on the lot, the day you drive it off the lot is your starting time.

The Accord only had 9 miles on it when I bought it so I guess you're right.Just that one year thing is in my head and I'm OCD when it comes to my vehicles.
smile.gif

Leave the oil in for the full year of DRIVING. Don't worry about it sitting around prior to purchase.
If it were me....I'd change the filter. Honda filters aren't the most efficient. Put a Fram TG7317 on there now and leave it until it's time for a full change. If you change the filter COLD, you shouldn't have any leakage and it's a clean job.

Thanks,Guys.
I feel better about just doing the year in use or maybe down to 30% on the OLM.

Honda used to have a load of molybdenum disulfide as well as manganese in their break in oil.
Well worth leaving in there for the suggested interval. Match that with correct driving break in regimen and you could have an engine that goes 500k with regular service.
Enjoy your purchase.

Most engines have moly shotpeened onto piston skirt scuff zones these days. Moly and other EP compounds could be helpful in the wet timing system and inverted bucket tappets.

The problem is short trip sludge and water getting in the oil. I would change it soon within 500 miles and then yearly, with filter. A cellulose blend filter may actually do better in short tip low use situations as it will hold a slight amount of water. If the use is the engine is getting fully hot for awhile most every time then it is a different story. Every case is different, one 10k interval does not fit all.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Whatever you choose, at the end of the day it will probably make no difference.
How you drive during the break-in period can make a difference though.

+1

We oil folk worry too much.

Originally Posted By: Throt
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Whatever you choose, at the end of the day it will probably make no difference.
How you drive during the break-in period can make a difference though.

+1

We oil folk worry too much.

LOL!
We do!

Thanks to all who posted.

It is well documented regarding Honda's factory fill. Leave it in. Use the OLM. Did the dealership offer free oil changes? If so, take full advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back