Battery lifespan question ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2003 Dodge Caravan with 3.3 L V-6. We bought the vehicle used 5 years ago from an estate and do not have any maintenance records, tho the vehicle seemed clean and well cared for. The battery is a Sears Diehard. I have not been able to find a date code to tell me the actual battery age, but, the battery is at least 5 years old.

My wife is towing the trailer on a solo trip to a remote campground upstate. I am leaning toward replacing the battery as "insurance" before she leaves.

What do you folks think? Thank you in advance for any advice.

No reason to expect it to fail unless it's already acted flakey. I'd charge it up and have it load tested but wouldn't replace it for no reason. I carry a jump box though.

Bring the van to the nearest auto parts store to have the battery tested and if it fails replace the battery.

I had a battery fail out of nowhere that was 3 1/2 years old due to a bad cell. Having a 600w aftermarket stereo system probably didn't help either.

I'd just take it to AZ and have it testing. If good, then your good to go. It shouldn't get really cold anymore right? If you really want insurance, hop on over to HF and buy a cheapo jumper
wink.gif

My wife solo to remote location away from home with old battery = replace. My wife and my peace of mind is worth $110 being spent a few months earlier.

We have had batteries last 10 years in family vehicles. I wouldn't be that concerned. What about pulling a trailer makes you more concerned? If she was just driving there on the van without trailer, woukd the same concerns exist?

I agree on load and/or capacitance testing. Its smart to be vigilant... Ive also had a shorted cell pop up out of nowhere during a road trip hundreds of miles from home, when minutes before all was perfect.

If it gives comfort, change it. Or buy it, put it in the trunk, and have a spare. Its only $50-100... but its $50-100 and possibly unnecessary.

In 2004 I bought a 1999 Dodge Dakota. One of the first things I did was load test the battery. And I kept doing it every fall till it finally needed replacement in 2012.
Load test the battery and if it's good, go with it. If even a little off, then replace it and have peace of mind.

I've got DieHard Platinums in my Dodge diesel truck, 7+ years old, recently tested, still going strong. The battery in my BMW is the same one it had when I bought it 8 years ago (though it's in the trunk, which is probably better for it). Can't remember the brand.

Two ways to go: test it and keep running it if it passes, or replace it anyway. The answer might depend on how resourceful or how forgiving your wife is. Since she's towing a trailer to go camping, she might be both!

I like to have AAA on the wife's car anyway...

I think the lifespan is variable depending if you live in TX or Maine. And if your vehicle is driven regularly. Also is the radio played for hours on end with the engine not running and how well charging system is running and the plates never got exposed to air.

I think the lifespan is variable depending if you live in TX or Maine. And if your vehicle is driven regularly. Also is the radio played for hours on end with the engine not running and how well charging system is running and the plates never got exposed to air.

Originally Posted By: CharlieFoxtrot
I've got DieHard Platinums in my Dodge diesel truck, 7+ years old, recently tested, still going strong.

Those DieHard platinums are rebadged Odyssey red extreme AGM batteries. You are probably only at 1/2 their lifespan.

I have an 8 year old odyssey PC1750 in my truck, and it still maxes out my load tester past 1000CA. Hoping for a 15-20 year lifespan.

Got to laugh at all the recommendations to "have it tested." If a battery is starting the car with no noticeable changes, its GOING to pass the cheesy little load test. And then it could still fail tomorrow. The tests are kinda meaningless unless something wonky is already going on and you're trying to decide "battery or charging system?"

How are the terminals? Clean, or fuzzy with corrosion? If its getting crusty, I'd replace it since you should un-bolt the terminals and clean them anyway, and that often causes an internal crack in aging batteries that leads to failure shortly afterward. If it still looks clean and is working fine, I'd leave it alone.

Is it one of those cars where there is a case around the battery preventing you from seeing the date of manufacture?
You might have to remove the battery to find a date code on it.

I too have had car batteries last 10yrs. They can fail out of the blue like anything mechanical. Extremes in ambient temps is the main thing that dictates how long they'll last.

Charge it up yourself and check the S.G or voltage 24 hrs later. Or just check it after a longer drive. If it falls below certain levels after 8-24 hrs (12.20 volts iirc) then it's getting on the weak side. A good battery should be able to hold 12.40-12.65 volts after sitting for 24 hrs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back