Badly designed exhaust flex pipe 07 Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have an issue with aftermarket parts?

In regards to the following thread where I had the mechanic replace the flex pipe and gaskets with new Flowmaster or whatever jobber parts they use:
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4323369/Re:_Growling_07_Focus_engine??#Post4323369

I now have recurring problems where the shop simply replaces the gaskets and after about a week or so the new gaskets seem to mysteriously "fail".

IMHO, the problem lies with the aftermarket part not being able to flex and bend the same way the OEM one did. Maybe it's too short, or too stiff, but this hose is designed to flex and move with the engine's movements. Failure to do so will result in undue stress on the gaskets which attach it to the preceding and succeeding exhaust piping.

Am I grasping at straws here? or am I onto something?

thanks in advance

No idea. Just wanted to comment and say you are not being ignored. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will come along to help you. Cardinal works at a Mazda/Ford parts shop and may be able to help.

Do you know if the flex pipe joint uses a special OEM bolt that the shop didn't use, or a spring type of bolt?

Is the gasket the flat type or is it a donut type gasket? It sounds like the length of the repair isn't correct maybe the flex pipe is too small or too long and is causing the problems.

I would suspect a flange mismatch, the gasket possibly isn't sealing fully between both flanges but instead filling a void between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back