2011 BMW M3 / BMW TwinPower 10w60 / 4.2k / 69k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil was in the car for 1 year. Obviously, this is not my DD and it does sit quite a lot. When I do drive it, I wind out the motor. It also saw 8-10 track days which means 6x 30-minute sessions of constant WOT.

Everything looks almost identical to the previous analyses which had a few thousand miles more, so I'd say this thing is wearing very consistently. The S65 motor is truly built to be driven hard. :)

Code:
OIL BMW TwinPower 10w60

MILES IN USE 4,264

MILES 68,744

SAMPLE TAKEN 4/6/2017

ALUMINUM 5

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 9

COPPER 2

LEAD 2

TIN 2

MOLYBDENUM 83

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 9

POTASSIUM 3

BORON 51

SILICON 3

SODIUM 6

CALCIUM 2345

MAGNESIUM 15

PHOSPHORUS 823

ZINC 932

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES TR

WATER 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 420

SUS VIS 210ºF 87.0

cSt @ 212ºF 17.25

TBN 4.8

TAN 4.7

Is this the Shell produced product for BMW? Interesting to note the small amount of titanium in the oil which is either new for Shell or its remnants of the Castrol /BMW oil.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is this the Shell produced product for BMW? Interesting to note the small amount of titanium in the oil which is either new for Shell or its remnants of the Castrol /BMW oil.

Yep, it's the Shell stuff.

The previous change was also the Shell oil so I don't think any of the Castrol TWS remains.

Thanks for the reply. That titanium came from one of those oils. So, either Shell is adding it in or titanium has a tendency to hang around long after that oil has been dumped. Titanium as a anti-wear additive hasn't gained much traction in the industry. Castrol is the major player in that regard. I don't know if Kendall still has it or not. Reading some info a while back, it seems to work quite well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PimTac
Thanks for the reply. That titanium came from one of those oils. So, either Shell is adding it in or titanium has a tendency to hang around long after that oil has been dumped. Titanium as a anti-wear additive hasn't gained much traction in the industry. Castrol is the major player in that regard. I don't know if Kendall still has it or not. Reading some info a while back, it seems to work quite well.

The car's unique dual-pan system means it can be tricky to fully drain the oil, even if you follow BMW's procedure. I suspect it's still lingering. Remember, this car doesn't get driven much so it doesn't get more than one oil change a year.

DPARM how come you are selling your M3? I miss my old E90 M3, favorite car I have ever owned. What an aural experience it provides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back