oil with zinc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OPR4H
Do you have this emd engine? So it doesn't need zzdp?

Two stroke diesel engines often require engine oil that is VERY different from most any car oil.

Many old Detroit Diesels MUST be run on straight 30W or 40w oil.... Multi-vis 15W-40 HDEO will kill them.

Even non detergent oils use zddp.

Non-detergent API SA oils DO NOT HAVE zddp in them. They have only anti-foam.

Last edited:
API SA, Molakule, isn't an obsolete spec as Even SB Sc sd se sf sg sh SJ are all obsolete. For a Mazda CX5 and a Koler, who would use a 1930 oil?

Last edited:
Even non detergent oils use zddp.

You stated "non detergent oils use zddp."

I said nothing about obsolete oils, you did.

I stated API SA only had an anti-foam component. Again, it does not contain ZDDP. This means that if it only contains anti-foam, it excludes any other component such as detergents, dispersants, Anti-Wear (such as ZDDP), metal inhibitors, rust inhibitors, etc..........

I didn't meant non detergent SA, exclusively 1930 oil. Exception, nonrtheless any other non detergent oil has zddp, and that's the rule, specially those you can buy in todays store Unless it is a pqia forbidden counterfeit oil
wink.gif

Last edited:
Most ND SAE 30 from reputable brands doesn't bother with shady marketing, though, and tend to focus on their own specific niche. Such a product may be marketed specifically as a compressor oil or pump oil, for instance, or hydraulic oil. Castrol, on the other hand, does have a ND SAE 30 that's more "general purpose," if that means anything. They just warn what it's "not" for.

Mola: Considering SA was never really an API licensing category, is that just generally used to distinguish that it is a non-detergent oil also lacking AW as well, for those who might actually pay attention to such things?

Anything below SD isn't really an API spec. Neither MS and other mess common until 1969.

I didn't meant non detergent SA, exclusively 1930 oil. Exception, nonrtheless any other non detergent oil has zddp, and that's the rule, specially those you can buy in todays store Unless it is a pqia forbidden counterfeit oil
wink.gif

The non-detergent oils I have tested, such as Xcel, Excel or Harvest King, have zip, zero ZDDP.

There are some specialized compressor oils that are non-detrergent and have AW components in them but we don't call them non-detergent oils, we call them Compressor Lubricants.

What ND oils have you analyzed that have zddp in them?

There are no rules when it comes to non-detergent oils or obsolete oils such as SA or SB. ND SB oils have only two components, an anti-foam agent and an oxidation inhibitor, and are made of solvent de-waxed Group I base oils (while they last).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak

...Mola: Considering SA was never really an API licensing category, is that just generally used to distinguish that it is a non-detergent oil also lacking AW as well, for those who might actually pay attention to such things?

Yes.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
OPR4H: What ND oils have you analyzed that have zddp in them and what were their classifications or what industry or manf. standards did they meet?

I have in my stash old SAE ND oils of name brand that has zddp on them, if you want to analise, it's yours. Blackstone made a series of voa on such oils a few years ago, they're zddp added. You wouldn't have to analise those oils you mentioned, since Pquia did a year ago and flag them out of market, wasn't it?

I have in my stash old SAE ND oils of name brand that has zddp on them, if you want to analise, it's yours. Blackstone made a series of voa on such oils a few years ago, they're zddp added. You wouldn't have to analise those oils you mentioned, since Pquia did a year ago and flag them out of market, wasn't it?

Are they name brands we would recognize or are they Brazilian ones? Can you post a few names or do you have any links to the Blackstone series?

Last edited:
I have a HD 40 that has 1200 P, 1250 Zn, no Ca, no B, no Mg and was tested on the Blackstone series. Has some Barium, but that's antirust agent, according to Molakule, not a detergent. Also has the Castrol Racing R 40 grade, Ursa ED 20 grade and a bunch of others. It was posted the links here before several times. Try G8 forums here.
http://www.g8board.com/forums/4-tech-lounge/58054-blackstone-oil-labs-ebay-oil-test-old-old-oil.html

So those are considered SAE ND oils?

Here is what Ryan stated about the Harley-Davidson (HD) oil:
Quote:
...What’s interesting is that Harley-Davidson actually came up with their own oil weight specifications. This can is 75 Medium Heavy and is for use in all motors at temperatures above 40°F...

There is no API classification for this oil, but it does have a small amount of detergent /dispersant in it.

Again I will ask you: What ND oils have you analyzed that have zddp in them and what were their classifications or what industry or manf. standards did they meet?

Were interested in today's industry standard DEFINITIONS of oils, not your dream list.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Again I will ask you: What ND oils have you analyzed that have zddp in them and what were their classifications or what industry or manf. standards did they meet?

I also asked Pontual OPR4H for brand names, but no reply to that yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back