Parallel-ish parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I travel to Asia on business I see cars parked not half as tight as that and wonder how on earth did they get in and how are they going to get out. Tight quarters maneuvering is a skill I lack. Luckily, I don't need it.

I stayed for two nights in a nice little hotel in Verona (city of Romeo and Juliet, not my reason for visiting) that had valet parking in an underground garage beneath the hotel. When I went to check out, they told me that the valet had gone out to grab a bite and I could either wait for him to return or take the car myself. I chose to not wait and headed off to find the little Benz hatchback I had rented.
Upon, seeing the car, I could not even imagine how I was going to get it out...but, being a self-reliant American man, I chose to give it a shot. It took me about 20 minutes of creeping back and forth, but I did it.
Now, the valet could well have been planning to move other cars to get to mine...but, I'd bet not. He probably knew the geometry involved to the nearest 10um and would have had it out in seconds. When I picked it up after my first night to drive to Venice, there was no delay involved in getting the car from him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back