I stopped drinking soda/pop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, not entirely. For many years, I pretty much drank nothing but cheap store brand soda/pop, often times 2 liters or even more a day. A few weeks ago, I just decided to cut back. Not out of any particular reason, more like a spur of the moment thing. I've switched now to bottled water from CostCo. Our tap water here isn't real good even when run through a Brita filter. I'm now drinking roughly 1.5 to 2 liters of water a day. I still will have a Pepsi if I'm at a restaurant though, as most of them around here use city water which is terrible, but I only eat out (giggity) maybe once or twice a month, and maybe a Tim Hortons coffee about as often. I thought I'd have big time caffeine cravings and like cold sweats and junk but I really haven't. Maybe the water will keep my gallstone from getting worse.

Apart from one cup of coffee in the morning I drink water all day and most nights, occasionally one or two beers too.

There's just too much sugar in pop, it's bad for your teeth and your pancreas and...did you ever clean a dirty old penny in a glass of coke? Think about what that can do to your insides...

Originally Posted By: 55Test
but I only eat out (giggity) maybe once or twice a month

lol.gif

Sugar drinks are fuel for cancer and auto-immune diseases. Get another plus by drinking 1-2 glasses of green-tea each day (anti-oxidants). I just drink it cold/warm as part of my daily water intake. A decent water intake is 64-96 oz per day. I take 16-20 oz with a tablespoon of squeezed lemon juice when I first get up. Sort of helps clean things and rehydrate to start the day. Your body needs water and movement to flush out contaminants. I got off the soda train about 10 years ago....though still might drink a couple cans over the course of a year.

You are smart. Too much sugar is awful. I lost my sweet cravings after quitting.
There was a book several years ago by Dr. James B. Johnson (alternate day diet guy) that had a great rule of thumb:
"Don't drink or eat more than 10 grams of sugar per hour."
(I would add that if you have over 15 grams of protein and 15 grams of fat to slow absorption, you can get away with up to 20 grams of sugar per hour.)
The whole idea is to avoid glycemic spikes.

I drink a cup of coffee in the morning to wake up, then water the rest of the day.

When I drink Juicy Juice (100% juice) I always mix with water, it's very sweet by itself.

I cut out soda about 2 years ago and drink ice water all day, lots of it. Much better for you.

My tap water taste good here after being run through a filter.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
but I only eat out (giggity) maybe once or twice a month

lol.gif

Could you explain what you mean by giggity?
crazy.gif

Look up "Quagmire" and "giggity" together.

Well, not entirely. For many years, I pretty much drank nothing but cheap store brand soda/pop, often times 2 liters or even more a day. A few weeks ago, I just decided to cut back. Not out of any particular reason, more like a spur of the moment thing. I've switched now to bottled water from CostCo. Our tap water here isn't real good even when run through a Brita filter. I'm now drinking roughly 1.5 to 2 liters of water a day. I still will have a Pepsi if I'm at a restaurant though, as most of them around here use city water which is terrible, but I only eat out (giggity) maybe once or twice a month, and maybe a Tim Hortons coffee about as often. I thought I'd have big time caffeine cravings and like cold sweats and junk but I really haven't. Maybe the water will keep my gallstone from getting worse.

An excellent move for your health.

I have never really liked pop/soda/soft drinks... whatever you call them. Occasionally I like a Mtn. Dew or ginger ale but only with 100% sugar, not corn syrup. I used to drink sweet tea all the time but that's just as bad for you as soda. I drink coffee, water, and milk regularly. It doesn't hurt that I'm married to a dietitian now so soda does not make it in our house.

Never been a huge sweets fan but I cut out soda and especially caffeine and sure felt better for it. I will occasionally drink a clear soda (sprite, 7up) but it's rare. Sugar is like anything... Fine in moderation bad in excess.

Wouldn't bother me one iota if they never made another can of pop. I don't need bottled water either. Silliest thing I have ever seen is a grocery cart overflowing with bottled water. And I guess I can't say what is being used to purchase a lot of that bottled water.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I drink between 1.5 and 3 gallons of antioxident alkaline water daily.

This has to be massive overkill unless you're out in the sun all day every day.

Restricting your diet to food and water is a good idea.

Getting people to drink colored fizzy water with fake sugar is a marketing success, that's all.

Coke has 2 brands of bottled water. They leave out the color, the fizz and the sugar and charge more for it. Another marketing success.

Next thing you know, they'll market milk for baby cows for human consumption. It's a stupid idea but with enough marketing it just might work.

Right this very minute there's a bunch of corn farmers that just left the EPA office making a search for things people put in their mouth that has not had fake sugar added to the mix. So far, no luck.

That guy that invented metformin and his friends at the FDA are financing the corn farmers so they'll keep looking.

I only see the smaller 33oz antioxidant alkaline waters around. Yeah, I've seen them in bulk 10-pks. However, purchased that way, a one day supply for you would be more expensive than a pack of cigarettes. No way am I spending around $7 per day on water.

Well water? Ours in reasonably hard/alkaline and tastes great straight from the ground.
We don't have any pop in the house and no one misses it.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en

I only see the smaller 33oz antioxidant alkaline waters around. Yeah, I've seen them in bulk 10-pks. However, purchased that way, a one day supply for you would be more expensive than a pack of cigarettes. No way am I spending around $7 per day on water.
My boss sells the machines that make it so I get it free.. Don't forget that I work outside in the heat all summer long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back