Would your grandfather recognize this as a Pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my grandfathers was born in 1882(?), and never owned a motor vehicle (although he rode many of them). The other grandfather was born in 1896, owned numerous cars, and was a notoriously fast driver, but wasn't dumb enough to think he needed a truck for city life.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Given that the pickup (ute) was supposed to be something that you could drive to Church Sunday, and haul pigs Monday, then of course it fits the bill....

http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/buyers-guide-buying-advice/the-true-history-of-the-ute

4WD, and whether you use it doesn't define a pickup...

My new ute is a ute...

53e50273-6140-4853-a6b9-da32cd507f0d.jpg

just like the one (2003) that its replacing

P4212495.jpg

Very nice! both of them.

Good looking truck.

That looks nothing like our Colorado here. Perhaps someday those will be here?

Only the rich yuppy wannabes can afford the ridiculous price for a Raptor.Most dealers are marking up 10k.Haha nice try.Cool truck though.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I saw one of these in Dearborn last year that was driven by a Ford employee. They sure are beasts.

Not sure about the new, but the old 6.2's were basically super duties on an F150 frame. The springs were just a bit softer thus limiting the towing capacity. They were also cheaper than an equivalently loaded Tahoe too.

How exactly is it a super duty if its on an F150 frame and doesnt have the same springs?

Engine and axle.

*You have the benefits of power, but the not so bulkiness of a superduty. Not sure on the transmission.

And the later 6.2's werent' exactly a plain Jane F150 frame either.
The Raptor didn't use different axles, transmissions, or transfer cases. I believe the brakes were also the same. And the 6.2 was available in certain F150s. A Raptor has no more in common with a SD than any other F150.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I saw one of these in Dearborn last year that was driven by a Ford employee. They sure are beasts.

Not sure about the new, but the old 6.2's were basically super duties on an F150 frame. The springs were just a bit softer thus limiting the towing capacity. They were also cheaper than an equivalently loaded Tahoe too.

How exactly is it a super duty if its on an F150 frame and doesnt have the same springs?

Engine and axle.

*You have the benefits of power, but the not so bulkiness of a superduty. Not sure on the transmission.

And the later 6.2's werent' exactly a plain Jane F150 frame either.
The Raptor didn't use different axles, transmissions, or transfer cases. I believe the brakes were also the same. And the 6.2 was available in certain F150s. A Raptor has no more in common with a SD than any other F150.

I would argue a 6.2 equipped F150 is like a super duty too. I thought for sure it had an upgraded rear axle though.

Also the Raptor had 4.10 gearing, a rear locker and front "LSD." Don't forget the wider stance too and upgraded frame and suspension. It has a mild lift and 35" BFG's too. All of this is factory which you won't find in any other production truck.

They are a bit more than just a sticker package.

The Rat is stock and I have to pull myself into the seat . I'm 6' ,wife is 5'3". I went small because , I drove E 150s at work and they're huge. Pickup trucks need to be low so there is less "pick up" Don't even get me started. Granpa was born in 1883. He mostly drove Chryslers. I had a '47 GMC, I consider 39-55 Chevy pick ups the high point in pickup style. Fords are even plainer. They're rare because the ugly old things were worked to death.

Originally Posted By: CR94
One of my grandfathers was born in 1882(?), and never owned a motor vehicle (although he rode many of them). The other grandfather was born in 1896, owned numerous cars, and was a notoriously fast driver, but wasn't dumb enough to think he needed a truck for city life.

Judgement much ???

Holden in Oz sell the Commodore (RWD family car) with a V-8, and around 35% of buyers opt for that.

This year they cease local production of the Commodore, and it's imported replacement will not have a V-8...so buyers are moving towards the utility of the Colorado...

Definitely a "look at me while I gun the engine and speed through the mall parking lot" vehicle.

If that is what floats your boat, it will cost 65 large.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back