Bike Shopping Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading a few recent threads here, I decided to visit a few local bike stores and have a look. I'm currently riding a ~ '82 Lotus 10 or 12 speed with Shimano components. Besides having to reach all the way down to the 'downtube' to shift, the main thing I don't like is that the gearing is far too TALL for the large hills I regularly climb: No granny chainring! The frame is mild-steel and comfortable.

I also pedal a mid-90's Specialized Rockhopper, which does have a granny chainring, street tires, no shocks. The frame does 'rise' tight to the crotch, but given my height & weight, the bike feels too small. The seat height is on MAX just to accomodate my long legs.

First stop was a local recommended bike shop that was closed to prepare for a sale. Very frustrating as I'd driven in traffic to get there...rats.

Second was a local Performance store. Lots of bikes. Saw a Trek Century? that was 58cm (I think). It was about $500-600. I took it for a spin in the parking lot. Very agile, responsive. Felt 'quick' and 'light'. Seat post was too short though. The young dude didn't set me up in it though and pressed me to buy even though it was a bit small. I told him I still had plenty of looking to do, including USED.

Third shop turned out to be rental only. Met the owner and we visited. He gave me a few more shops to visit. Just haven't had the time or it's been at the wrong time of day due to the horrible traffic.

I prefer used in great shape, rather than $$$ for new. Larger tires would be nice. I'll have more to report later.

I was looking for nearly 2 yrs for something to replace my worn out, 10 year old Raleigh 21 speed road bike. I wasn't happy that it seemed everything comparable now cost 50% more than my last bike (approx $700-$750 for a base road bike). Finally settled on a used, but nearly brand new GT series 4 - 16 speed with barely 50-100 miles on it...for $295 via Craig's List. That would have been around $700 new. While the 16 speed is not as versatile up the hills, I don't do many of them these days. Lots of good, nearly new bikes out there looking for homes. The cost to rebuild my bike would have been more than it was worth.

If it were me I'd save and mod your 82 Lotus with modern components regardless of what it cost. Newer bike frames ride like bricks compared to the ride quality on a sweet vintage frame.

Last edited:
Test ride an electric Trek, Raleigh, or any brand selling in your area. Fun stuff.

Unfortunately, bike shop quality varies. I too looked for a while, but found a decent shop that started with fit, then worked to my budget. The shop I bought my first 'serious' bike from didn't have anyone but uninterested sales only folks working that didn't ride.

Check with a local bike club and see who they suggest. It's your money and you'll have your ride a while. Get what you like !

Originally Posted By: cashmoney
If it were me I'd save and mod your 82 Lotus with modern components regardless of what it cost. Newer bike frames ride like bricks compared to the ride quality on a sweet vintage frame.
Excellent point as I've been told locally chains are no longer available for my old-style crankset. Updating the crank-set is certainly an option.

Any suggestions? Are these still available where the shifters are separate from the brakes?

What shop told you that they can't get chains for your bike? Good indication to not go back there. Single speed and 3 speed use the same chain, and IIRC 5 speed through 7 speed can use the same chain. 8 and up I think are specific (you can use a 9 speed on 8 speed, going down a size, I think). bikeforums.net and looking at Sheldon Brown's site would give much better info.

At that age I'd want to go through the bearings. Grease dries out. I think I killed my first road bike by not regreasing immediately.

Not sure how much it'd cost to go through and upgrade, so as to get deeper gearing. I'd keep an eye out for a newer bike that is set up the way you want. Can't hurt to have more than one bike. Plus: when I first got into biking I had to have a triple, for our hills. These days I rarely use the granny (only for when going off road). You may find that triple is a hindrance some day.

Yes, you can get shifters seperate from brakes. I've thought of getting barcons for my bike (Shimano makes one, in their 105 level). Downtube shifters should still be around. If not new then certainly on Ebay.

I'm guessing anything is avail. on the net these days. When I inquired locally about a new chain a few years back is when I heard this. I took the chain off, thoroughly cleaned it, blew dry with an air compressor, applied a drop of Boeshield T9 to every link, let it hang & dry over night, reinstalled, no worries. I can now tell when the chain needs a clean + re-lube.

I regreased both hubs & crankset of both bikes about 3yrs ago when I began riding on a regular basis. Found no galling nor excessive race/ball wear. Looked good.

Hills here are rather steep...even to get out of the neighborhood. One is about 5°max and about 450yrds long. Not even close to being warmed up yet either! Rude 'wake-up' to the legs. Another I have to deal with is more than 2x as long and a real thigh-burner for me. I'm not one of those light, skinny 180# dudes either. I currently tip the scales at around 255#'s so I'm hauling a lot of mail up the hills. The granny-gear helps for the terrain & this 56-yr. old.

I dropped by the highly recommended local bike shop again today...closed. Bummer......

Ah yes, I recall back in college, first thing I did was ride up a hill. Was not a great way to start the day!

These days I've lost all sense of pride and just walk a hill if it feels too steep. It works different muscles and prevents me from burning out on one hill (when there's plenty left to tackle).

I hate to admit it but one of the reasons while I'll toss the bike into my truck and drive 2 miles to the post office is to avoid the last hill going home--that's a real bummer, to have a great ride, get tired and then feel blown away by the last two miles of climbing. On dead tired legs. Perhaps this might work for you too? Drive someplace else, particularly if they have better roads?

Just found this rack that I'm tempted to get, looks like it might be quick and easy for bike transport.

I do that quite a bit with the 'hill' bike. Easily fits in the sled with the front wheel removed. It has 3 chainrings though unlike the road bike, and the small one really makes a difference. I'd go exploring neighborhoods, parks, creeks, etc. Not near the workout the road + hills are though.

I've actually gained weight now because my legs are larger! So are my knees/quads. Next jeans I buy will have a looser cut in the knees. It really binds there when I squat down + plus I wear the knees out from the inside-out.

Recently seen someone selling a pair of nice old Schwinns with balloons for $1400 for the pair. Don't know if he'll get that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I've actually gained weight now because my legs are larger! So are my knees/quads. Next jeans I buy will have a looser cut in the knees.

I've always had that problem, large quads. It got slightly better when I got fat, but I don't recommend that "fix".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back