Food grade grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey y'all--

I have a new Douglas shrink packer that requires Klubersynth UH1 14-222, which is silly expensive. I'm looking for an acceptable substitute and would appreciate any experience you've had. I can't find any competitive cross-reference that covers it...

Thanks
kevin

Technical specifications

SPECS TYPICAL VALUES
Colour beige
Density 920
Viscosity at 100C 29
Viscosity at 40C 260
Maximum service temperature 120
Minimum service temperature -25
Penetration 265-295
Dropping Point 220
Viscosity Index (calculated): 148

Is there actually anything special about Klubersynth UH1 14-222? I've already got plenty of greases here, but I don't want to miss out on some critical unique property, if there are any...

Edit: BTW, the service temps above are in degrees C.

Last edited:
The best thing would be to call around to other lube companies making food grade greases or distributors of industrial lubricants. They should have the cross-references you need and they'll likely be happy to give you an exact replacement for the Kluber product.

Originally Posted By: NJ_Car_Owner
I swear by superlube, I believe all or some of their their products are H1 rated which is why I use it - http://www.super-lube.com/

Nevermind ... I see Superlube's Cst is much lower at 100C than what you're looking for.

Mine's dated 2014, so it's similar but different. It specifies the Klubersynth for the heat tunnel fan bearings. Lubriplate FMO-200-AW for chains, FMO-900-AW for gearboxes, and FGL1 for everything else.

Are you in bottling, or just resourceful? (or both
smile.gif
)

My Jax dealer recommends Jax Pyro-Plate FGN-2. He says it has even better temp stability, and it's not priced like gold bricks!

TYPICAL
PROPERTIES
PYRO-PLATE FGN-2
(PPFGN2) METHOD
Soap Type Overbased Calcium Sulfonate
NLGI Grade 2
Penetration Unworked 280
Penetration, Worked, 60 Strokes 285 ASTM D 217
Penetration, Worked, 10,000 Strokes 290 ASTM D 217
Penetration, Worked, 100,000 Strokes 290
Dropping Point °F (°C) 600°F (316°C) ASTM D 2265
Base Fluid:
Viscosity @ 40°C, cSt 220 ASTM D 445
Viscosity @ 100°C, cSt 25 ASTM D 445
Viscosity Index 144 ASTM D 2270
Flash Point °F (°C) 446 (230) ASTM D 92
Pour Point °F (°C) -22 (-30) ASTM D 97
Rust Test Pass ASTM D 1743
Texture Smooth
Color Off-White
NSF Registration No. / Category Code 151020 / H1

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Can be these "food grade" greases used as a substitute for lets say lithium or lithium complex greases?

FD is alu complex.......vs lithium complex....and at least on paper food grade grease looks superior to lithium complex!

http://www.olma.si/files/documents/pds/en/complex_food_grease_2_tl.pdf

http://www.olma.si/files/documents/pds/en/olmaplex_ep_2_tl.pdf

The one is lithium complex and in a lot of applications, aluminum complex and lithium complex are interchangeable, performance-wise. So yes....ish.

Food grade grease is just a regular grease that only uses additives and base stocks that are approved by NSF at certain levels so as to not cause harm to humans and animals. The amount of food safe additives available for lubricants is pretty large so there are certainly some performance aspects that may be compromised compared to non-food grade grease, but there are many areas of performance that you'd never know the difference between a food grade grease a a non-food grade grease.

One area though that is usually different is price. A food grade product is typically more expensive than its non-food grade counterparts due to the specialized additives.

Tnx for you reply!

Only thing I dont understand here is....how can anything wich has to deal with aluminium be "food safe"?
smile.gif

Well that is an interesting question that I have asked myself before too. Apparently though, smarter people than myself have concluded it was safe.

My assumption is that because the grease complex thickeners are aluminum salts the body is able to process them differently than it does metallic aluminum, which is harmful. I've never really looked into it too deeply though so if someone can correct my assumptions there I'm all ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back