2013 Pentastar engine failure - feedback please

Status
Not open for further replies.
possible the service dept. knew before they removed the head? I'd ask cause I wouldn't want a hack installing the replacement.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
New long block arrived. The BITOG geek in me couldn't resist asking for them to open the box for some pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/o8ekvc9tcsufczz/AABUKnpxG2ARHQFaWw7QXHZCa

New engine looks great. When do they expect to have it in and running?

Picking the van up tomorrow. Looking forward to starting her up.

After viewing photo #11, I wonder what will happen if you use it after 09/13/2026.

Originally Posted By: Kruse
New long block arrived. The BITOG geek in me couldn't resist asking for them to open the box for some pictures.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/o8ekvc9tcsufczz/AABUKnpxG2ARHQFaWw7QXHZCa

New engine looks great. When do they expect to have it in and running?

Picking the van up tomorrow. Looking forward to starting her up.

After viewing photo #11, I wonder what will happen if you use it after 09/13/2026.

lol.gif

Do you plan to continue using VWB in the new engine? It sure kept the inside of the old one nice and tidy, it's probably my favorite major brand conventional oil. Any plans to change the dealership fill early?

Excellent! I'm glad everything worked out with this repair, hopefully all goes well with the vehicle pickup today. Inspect under hood for wires not in looms, engine bay not clean, greasy hand or foot prints. Then just enjoy your brand new 2016 engine in your 2013 van!

I thought a long block would be a complete engine, with timing chain covers, cam covers, etc. all in place? I just hate the idea of a shop RTV job on all those surfaces as opposed to a nice neat factory RTV job.

Cool looking engine pics though.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I thought a long block would be a complete engine, with timing chain covers, cam covers, etc. all in place? I just hate the idea of a shop RTV job on all those surfaces as opposed to a nice neat factory RTV job.

Replacement engines often come without those things to allow their use in different vehicles since those components generally are vehicle specific.

Originally Posted By: JTK

It varies. When I replaced the pentastar in a 13 Wrangler, I asked the dealer parts guys- they thought yes, it would have all the necessities. Well, they were wrong.

As for the RTV job, it too varies. As a matter of personal prides (as much as anything else) and insurance against leaks, all my beads are as nice and uniform as possible. I've seen that engine I put in the wrangler a few times since- and it's dry as a sun bleached bone in the middle of the Sahara.

Originally Posted By: AdrianOilFreak
Dont forget to put Mobil 1 once you get it. The best.

Or just keep on using the VWB that's worked well up till now and that you have in stock.

OP,

How's the new engine?

Engine ran great for the 4 days I had it until we sold the van yesterday. You could definitely tell there was a new engine in there.

We purchased a new 2017 van, picking it up today
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back