2001 jeep Cherokee oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was running T5 10W30 but was/is harder to find at Walmart so switched to 10W30 maxlife I do 5k OCIs and only need about .5 quarts as make up due to leaking. I also use an oversized Fram Ultra (XG8A)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: Kuato
I got great UOA results at 5000 miles with VWB, Amsoil and ST Syn, all 5w30. Avoid M1 in this engine.

Drop the Lucas it is not helping anything, only thickening your oil without increasing additives. You are better off moving to a solid 40 grade oil, which the 4.0 loves; an example on here with stellar UOAs isRotella 5w40.

I recall reading you had great luck with ST syn in the past. Do you remember who blended the ST you ran?

It was Warren, I think...it was purchased in the Charlottesville VA area around 2008-2009. IIRC it could have gone a little further than 5k miles, but don't recall the TBN remaining. I no longer have the UOAs.

Last edited:
I used Mobil 1 10W/30 when I had my 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L. I loved that truck.

One reason to consider a synthetic is that they hold up to high temperatures better than conventional. The Jeep 4.0 is a hot-running engine.
Money-wise, you would probably come out about even with a full synthetic versus conventional+Lucas.
Rotella T6 is almost universally liked with the Jeep crowd. It also seems to do well with the top end, which was designed back when leaded fuels were a thing.

I usually either run T6 or a full synthetic + MOS2.

Ok so far I plan on dropping Lucas and just go to all oil now. Guess it's hard
To kick a habit but I've been using Lucas since high school thought it was
Always helping so thanks everyone for the
Advice. I guess I should ask this in the other forum about oil analysis but by getting my
Oil analysed can I tell what oil is best for my engine and how?

Lucas just makes the oil like molasses, which is very bad for oil flow at startup. Combine that with worn lifters at 190k and that is your start up tick.

I use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle conventional 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 depending on season. Quietest oil I have run in my 4.0, and I've tried quite a few. It also returned single digit iron wear numbers in my analysis, which the 4.0 is known for high iron wear.

Whatever is cheap and either 5w-30 or 10w-30.

I think that's about the only requirement for a 4.0. Some oils work better than others, but they just don't care too much.

There was a used oil analysis study done on the Jeep 4.0 stroker engine forums that compared 30 and 40 weight oils. The results were so close that the conclusion was it really doesn't matter if you use a 30 or 40 weight oil wear-wise.

Any 5w30 will do. Pennzoil Platinum is quite good. Better to use the Everglide EGS as your oil additive. Very good for improving mpg in old cars. It's nano-based which gas great cooling properties especially during summer. Amsoil is also okay.

I use ST synthetic 5w30 (year round) and change it every 5000 on my 2000 xj. No issues, no oil loss, no burning. Just a happy Jeep.

Well I believe I have a lot of good knowledge and hole lots of learning to do about oil and additives. Thank you everyone that replied.

I use Amsoil 10w30 with the Wix filter with my 2.5l for years. Lost only 1/2 quart per 6k miles at 15k oci and no start up tick. Also the engine was rebuilt about 30k ago.

These engines will use any good brand of oil with a good filter.

In son's 2003 Jeep Wrangler 4.0L has had the best results with PPP 10W30 plus oversize Fram Ultra Filter . Other good oils are Quaker State Ultimate Durability 10W30 and Castrol Edge 10W30 . I'm not sure running the Shell T6 is needed and lastly son's Jeep didn't particularly run well on M1 synthetic oil , so have stayed away from the M1 products since . Two OCI's a year and will drop down to 5W30 in the same oils once Fall arrives .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back