Vehicle registration conundrum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Donald
Register at new address early?
thumbsup2.gif

Boom - there you go! Just preregister in SC and have done with it. No gray areas, no worries.

If you have a lease agreement etc see if there's a "courier service" to whom you can give power of attorney and have them register the car for you.

Maine for example does this, particularly for title-exempt 1994 and older cars, and trailers of all weights.

Greenville is a big town, relative to most of SC. However, not sure if you have kids and plan to drop them off as school. Your IL plates would get noticed. Dont push it here. I bought a car in NC while living in SC, had a 45 day "plate". Dealer screw up lasted for about 90 days trying to get a new plate. WIfe got stopped twice on rural SC roads for it.

Originally Posted By: AntiMatic
Greenville is a big town, relative to most of SC. However, not sure if you have kids and plan to drop them off as school. Your IL plates would get noticed. Dont push it here. I bought a car in NC while living in SC, had a 45 day "plate". Dealer screw up lasted for about 90 days trying to get a new plate. WIfe got stopped twice on rural SC roads for it.

Additionally SC incentivized the public to report residents who are tax dodgers by not having their vehicles plated in SC in the form of a monetary reward if they turn you in. If I remember correctly it's a fairly decent amount too. A do good neighbor gets paid for ratting you out and you get fined for failure to comply. Not worth it. Not to me at least.

I was issued 3 tickets for this when I was stationed there, all were thrown out because military are exempt from the SC registration requirements but finally it became such a pain I just registered my vehicles there so I quit having to deal with the hassle of getting the tickets dismissed. Someone will absolutely turn you in to try and collect their reward.

Illinois gives you another 30 days to register before they want to charge you more.

I think I'd let it slide the two weeks and try to register when you get to SC.

If SC gives you trouble because the plates are "expired" then renew them in IL and then transfer your registration to SC. You can renew on-line.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
If you have a lease agreement etc see if there's a "courier service" to whom you can give power of attorney and have them register the car for you.

Maine for example does this, particularly for title-exempt 1994 and older cars, and trailers of all weights.

Not sure about SC, but AAA can tag cars in many states.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Can you not turn in your Illinois plates for a pro-rated refund?

Illinois is so broke that they're trying to figure out how to tax the air we breathe.
crackmeup2.gif

Couldn't resist.

Based on the number of people I see driving around with expired plates (yesterday I saw one that's been expired since 2014) You could probably get away without re-registering in IL, but now that I've said that you'll probably get pulled over 2 days after the plates expire. My concern would be more that the new state won't register the vehicle since it wouldn't be current in IL, or that you get pulled-over out of state during the move and have to deal with the hassles of the car not being current.

I'd probably bite the bullet and renew here, and take the hit.

I've run for months and months and maybe years with out-of-state tags, but never lived in a vehicle property tax state. I wouldn't deliberately drive on expired tags, and the property tax thing looks like it'll be a possible problem.

You know the address where you're going, right? Register the car there. You should be able to find a license plate agency that typically deals with fleets to do it for you. I once put FL tags on a car before I moved there, when my employer transferred me from MD. I registered it at my future work address, IIRC. No drivers license required. This was pre-9/11 though. Oh, and I ran a truck fleet for my job so maybe I had a prior relationship with the agency... I dunno.

Originally Posted By: javacontour
Illinois gives you another 30 days to register before they want to charge you more.

If SC gives you trouble because the plates are "expired" then renew them in IL and then transfer your registration to SC. You can renew on-line.

This!

DJA, shouldn't you concentrate on the move (especially with a little one)? $105 is not much and i think they prorate....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I let my vehicle registration get ahead of me. I'd been working nights and the day my registration expired I drove my Civic to work planning to get to DMV in the morning with an appointment all set up.

A cop came through the parking lot at about 10:00 PM but I was okay because the actual expiration was not until midnight. What I did not find out until the next morning was that the cop came back at 12:30 AM and wrote me a ticket and had my poor Civic towed to the impound lot. This was not a meter maid but a regular patrol cop. I was upset about being stupid but also that a cop equipped to fight crime and serve the people went this far out of his way to come back and write that ticket and on top of that had my car towed away.

Wow, what a jerk cop. No warning.

Must have been trying to meet his important quota and crack down on bad criminals like you.
smirk.gif

[off-topic]
Double jerk: got ticketed and car impounded from HIS WORK LOT!!! That is PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!
P.S.i got out of a parking ticket like that: i was in my company's parking lot (private property), and my up-to-date registration stickers from another IL town where right next to the expired Chicago stickers...
[/off-topic]

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: javacontour

This!

DJA, shouldn't you concentrate on the move (especially with a little one)? $105 is not much and i think they prorate....

Thank you for your concern. I'm ready for the move. I have 3 vehicles. $300 is the cost of movers at my new home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back