2001 jeep Cherokee oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evening everyone first post so hope to get a lot of information in these forums. I have a 01 Cherokee sport with a 4.0 auto with 192000 miles. My factory service manual recommends 5w30 when temps are below 0 and 10w30 "preferred" when above 0. Also mopar recommends API certified oil. Currently I have owned the vehicle for 4 years and have been using 10w30. In the last several oil changes I have been using Castrol GTX 10w30 with 1 quart Lucas oil stabilizer with a citgo oil filter 4670. Some of you might ask why am I going cheap on oil filters. Well I got a great deal on rock auto on 10 filters for about 1.50 a piece on the filter so I am trying it. Every oil change I always but my filters open and inspect but haven't cut open one of these citgo filters yet. So,we will see how they are made in the next 500 miles when my oil is due. My motor is starting to tick a little and haven't figured where it's coming from. I just ordered a stehescope to help me but guessing it is lifters because noise goes away as engine warms up. What I am really looking for is what have other people used for engines like this. I prefer a conventional oil because I just like changing my oil every 3000. I plan on changing my viscosity to 5w30 this winter to help but what's everyone's thought on the Lucas?I've heard pros and cons on this product. I just have been using this product for the last ten years and have no complaints. I just got my new Silverado a oil analysis last month and plan on getting my jeep done the next OC. I look forward to hearing others people advice. Thanks

Long run ? Regular joe oil .short trip (engine doesn't reach operating temp)synthetic.i m a truck driver. Most company never have used synthetic. Those engine last million of miles. One thing I learned in diesel .the less junk in the less issue ?coolant! It probably also apply to oil.but don't over think this .respect maker oil change interval.don't forget to ask maker. If you are a farmer you won't have the same oci aa if you are doing snowbird run from Florida to buffalo ny

For a 3k mile OCI you should use the cheapest 5w30 you can find.

My engine also has developed a tick on start up for about 10 seconds or so. I have no idea what it is

If you find out, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Oil pump drive assy got it. I plan on dropping my oil next oil change so I'll check then. And Chris 142 why you think Lucas is junk?And toneydoc u think cheap is the way to go? Is using castrol over doing it for my interval.

If I was on a 3k oci with my 4.0 I'd either use Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or Pennzoil High mileage.

I agree. If not using an excessive amount of oil then Pennzoil DINO 10w30 (all bottles are yellow now) or 5w30 HM. I would NOT use any LUCAS oil thickener. If you feel like you need a thicker oil due to burning then step up to a 15w40 or similar. Ed

My XJ likes Pennzoil HM 5w30 for winter and for summer, I'm using Pennzoil HM 10w40. Cut down on the leaks/burn off. Fram TG filters. Lucas just dilutes your oil and thickens it way too much.

Last edited:
I sold 2001 Jeep GC with 4.0 engine.

I used Pennzoil PP 10W30 but tried Shell Rotella T6, mileage dropped slightly.

I used Mobil 1 filters.

For your tick, you may want to drop the oil pan looking for chunks of piston skirt. Inspect the bottom of each piston with the drain pan off. You need to replace any damaged pistons.

I replaced my Jeep's engine due to catastrophic failure from broken piston skirt.

I got great UOA results at 5000 miles with VWB, Amsoil and ST Syn, all 5w30. Avoid M1 in this engine.

Drop the Lucas it is not helping anything, only thickening your oil without increasing additives. You are better off moving to a solid 40 grade oil, which the 4.0 loves; an example on here with stellar UOAs isRotella 5w40.

I would run a 10w40 in the summer and possibly a 5w40 in the winter.

My Jeep ticks during warm up too and I believe it's from the worn lifters. The ticks fluctuate depending on it's mood and the location of the moon.

Originally Posted By: Kuato
I got great UOA results at 5000 miles with VWB, Amsoil and ST Syn, all 5w30. Avoid M1 in this engine.

Drop the Lucas it is not helping anything, only thickening your oil without increasing additives. You are better off moving to a solid 40 grade oil, which the 4.0 loves; an example on here with stellar UOAs isRotella 5w40.

I recall reading you had great luck with ST syn in the past. Do you remember who blended the ST you ran?

Awesome everyone love all the replies so far. Donald question for yah what does PP stand for in the pennzoil. Also question for everyone I've been looking at super tech oil from Walmart. It's a little cheaper then my Castrol which I just bought at 17. Something for 5 quarts.

With a 192K on the clock, there is enough wear to move up a grade for sure. I'd also go to 5W-40 HDEO like Rotella T6 or similar
smile.gif

10w30 is fine, if you have low oil pressure step it up to a 40 weight like Rotella T6 5w40, but it likely doesn't need that.

My 4.0L runs great on just about anything. I've run Castrol GTX HM, Valvoline MaxLife, Pennzoil Platinum, Chevron Supreme HM, and this last run Mobil 1 HM. Changed it today with Napa conventional 10w30. I baby my Jeep as far as maintenance so I always change the oil real early, I use clearance oil so it doesn't hurt.

Get rid of that Lucas junk and just use motor oil. Lucas is a last resort for a failing engine and isn't gong to help you with anything.

Unfortunately you've got a bad year for the 4.0L, those years like to eat piston skirts and crack the 0331 heads.

I've never heard ANY pro's to using Lucas, other than "I used it and my engine is still running".

Stick with either 0w/5w 30 or 40... I have learned many things from some of the 'old guard' on this board... you don't want the 1st number (0W/5W) too high because this is harder to pump while cold, causing more initial wear. You also don't want to go too heavy on the 2nd number (30 or 40) because the higher it is, the harder it is to pump overall, which actually causes the oil temps to be higher due to higher pumping friction, which then causes the viscosity to drop, losing most of the 'cushion' you thought the thicker oil provided.

There are tons of really good oils readily available at WM for less than $25 - 5qts of Pennz. Platinum or Quaker State Ultimate Durability, or less than $22 per gallon for Rotella T6 or Delo LE 5W-40. Use one of those with confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back