How often to replenish Lubegard Red?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll be doing an ATF drain & fill on my I35 soon. Last D&F was 20k miles ago, at which time I also added a bottle of Lubegard Red. I anticipate ~4 qts of ATF coming out (tranny capacity is 9).

I know it's difficult to say but will I lose most of the LG additive? Should I add half a bottle to replenish what'll be lost?

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Add 1 oz.... for every quart of ATF you add.

I'm aware but that isn't my question.

Well if you're going to change out 4qts of ATF, then 4oz of lubegard is going to come out with it.

So you would want to replace it with 4qts ATF and 4oz lubegard.

Or do I not understand your question either?

No.....you will not lose any or all of the Lubegard, except for the quarts your removing.....so....if removing 4 quarts, just add an additional 4 onces od Lubegard. Its as simple as that.

Don't bother trying to calculate how much will be left in it, go ahead and add another 10 oz. bottle. I get the 1 qt bottle and add half a quart myself.

Although you can't run straight LG red, according to them you can't OD it either. The rule of thumb is one ounce/qt of ATF, which is what I'd do on a pan drop only or partial exchange to a vehicle already treated with it. But a 10 ounce bottle of it won't hurt either.

I like your half bottle plan.

I added 7 oz. to my 7 qt. system when I did a drain and fill.

Just bring the total level to the FULL mark on the dipstick.

Now, each time I drain the sump (which yields 3.5-4 qt.) I measure out 3.5-4 oz. of LubeGard Red.

EXAMPLE: 128 oz. of old fluid out means 124 oz. of fluid + 4 oz. LubeGatrd goes in.

Follow the manufacturers directions and maintain 1oz./quart system fluid. Old fluid and old LubeGard go out. Same amount of new goes in.

I don't fret over the possibility of deteriorating LubeGard. That's why we refresh our juices.

My current car is "600 miles new to me" and the fluid is a little dirty. I want to get it a tad cleaner before I add my LubeGard to it.

Thanks everyone. I'll just throw in half the bottle (5 oz) and call it a day.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Add 1 oz.... for every quart of ATF you add.

I'm aware but that isn't my question.

I think it did answer your question.

I think the OP is asking if Lubegard becomes depleted over time and a full retreatment is necessary?

Last edited:
Totally agree with the above recommendations. Simply add 4 ounces if you have drained 4 quarts.

Originally Posted By: RevelationLion
I think the OP is asking if Lubegard becomes depleted over time and a full retreatment is necessary?

That's what I thought. I doubt if LubeGard depletes any faster than the ATF it's mixed with. One ounce per ATF quart is how I mix it too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back