Motorcycle oil filter - longer filter is OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at this page which is just chock full of useful information:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

And it seems that I should be able to run a Fram Ultra 7317 on my bike (which is currently using a FRAM PH6017A). The recent good reports of the Ultra filters is pushing me to this, plus the cost is actually quite good ($9.99 for the ultra filter, whereas the next best option Wix 51358 would be around $8.95).

There wouldn't be any issues with this right?

For what it's worth, I have been running that exact size on my Goldwing 1800 for over 10 years. Currently has a Fram Ultra 7317. The engine has not blown up yet - that is the extent of my scientific testing. YMMV

A larger or longer filter is a good thing-IF you have room for it.
Some cycle engines are pretty cramped for filter space. Eyeball the
area then decide.

My 2¢

No problem as long as you have room for the longer filter. Otherwise just use the XG6607, it's the same size as the PH6017A.

Thanks folks. Looks like I'll be running the 7317 then. (but good to know I can also use the 6607)

I have a 7317 in my R1, and it is pretty close to the headers, but nothing problematic. Running a bigger filter will do nothing but add extra oil capacity and media surface area, and if there are no clearance issues, there are no issues. Helps to let us know what the bike is.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
I have a 7317 in my R1, and it is pretty close to the headers, but nothing problematic. Running a bigger filter will do nothing but add extra oil capacity and media surface area, and if there are no clearance issues, there are no issues. Helps to let us know what the bike is.

It's a Triumph Tiger 800. No big concerns about filter length since the rake of the fork puts the front wheel out far ahead. Filter diameter would be a concern, though, because the coolant hose runs directly next to the oil filter -- but it's a coolant hose so there is some flexibility.

Not my pic, but you can see the filter here.

maxresdefault.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back