Filter in a bucket?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the Cummins Dodge air filters, napa 6637, anyone know if one would fit in a 3.5 gallon bucket with a screw on lid with a 4 inch hole in the bottom?
I'm having a hard time getting answers on the filter length with out the flange. I also need to know the depth in the bucket with the lid on.
Or, a shorter length of that filter.

I did, they don't have one to measure and the specs aren't specific enough.
I am trying for a low tech, low buck, serviceable cold air intake. A bucket with a lid that removes will allow me to mount the filter direct to the turbo, plumb my CDR valve in, and come in from the side to feed it outside air. The bucket is cheapish and would keep the heat out. It is just short enough and not to wide to fit.

Found in 3 minutes using Google

Details
Product Attributes

Outlet Diameter:
4.02 Inches (102 MM)
Body Diameter Max:
8.50 Inches (216 MM)
Body Length:
10.98 Inches (279 MM)
Efficiency:
99.9 Percent
Efficiency Test Std:
ISO 5011
Rated Flow LR:
279 CFM (7.9 CMM)
Rated Flow MR:
399 CFM (11.3 CMM)
Rated Flow HR:
470 CFM (13.3 CMM)
Restriction LR:
4.02 In H2O (102 MM H2O)
Restriction MR:
5.98 In H2O (152 MM H2O)
Restriction HR:
7.99 In H2O (203 MM H2O)
Family:
ECB
Type:
Primary
Style:
Round
Media Type:
Cellulose

I appreciate the sarcasm. It still does not answer the question of overall or without the flange. I know it says body length, but what do they measure to call it that.

4 inch hole saw, check.
4 inch PVC drainage pipe, check.
PVC cleaner and cement, check.
3.5 gallon bucket, with screw on lid, on the way.
What do you all use for cold air intake flex hose? I've used gutter flex plastic before, also collapsed it once.

From your sig it looks like you've spent some money upgrading this truck. Why don't you just spend the $100 - 200 on a universal cold air intake? Then you wont have a bucket under your hood...

The bucket was to big. I ended up using stove pipe. It's just the right size to match the plate on the cone filter. I cut a 4 inch hole in the side for a piece of PVC to hook up a cold air intake tube to. I'll just have tape the base of the filter to the pipe to seal it. I'll silicone the PVC in place, plump the CDR in and close the top. It's not what I hoped for, but it'll work for colder air.

The hose to the restriction gauge goes on into the filter. A very tight fit. The grommet on the hose is what holds the lid on. There is a foam gasket under the lid. The air intake is plumbed to the front as the hinge hit it there. The coolant overflow got moved back where it was, and my horn had to be moved from there.
On to gauge wiring now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back