Oversized Filter Website

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,

I've seen the common question: What is an oversized filter for filter ?

I've found a website, OilFilterData.com, that makes answering this question really, REALLY easy. Thought you folks might want to know about it - I found exploring around the site to be most illuminating.

That's been around for a while. I found inaccurate info on two filters they listed and their database has some info missing. See the disclaimer in the fine print at the bottom.

This is a good website, sticky worthy even, for those of us with motorcycles. IDK what you are looking for, BTW the #3 has a real upgrade (sizewise) to a 51515/1515 and there is even a bigger but cant remember #. Link to site.

Then there is this one.
Google is your friend...

Last edited:
Generally, if I'm looking at an oversize, the Hastings and Baldwin sites are useful, since when you look up a specific application, they will often list one or more oversize or undersize options on the page.

One thing to keep in mind when "playing engineer" on oversized filter selection, is that in the rare event of a filter failure, you may lack warranty protection. Regardless of using the correct sized filter or not, the vehicle manufacturer is going to push back on warranty work for a non OEM filter failure. Secondly, unless the aftermarket filter maker catalogs a oversize filter for your application, they have grounds to not honor the warranty for their filter and not cover any engine damage.

That being said, there is very little evidence in most applications that adding a oversize filter does nothing more than give a warm fuzzy placebo effect for every little extra overall oil capacity.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

That being said, there is very little evidence in most applications that adding a oversize filter does nothing more than give a warm fuzzy placebo effect for every little extra overall oil capacity.

That's what we're on here for isn't it? That warm fuzzy feeling is what it's all about. People come on here and post their experiences and questions so they can feel better about the combinations of oils and filters and the results they have. I use oversized filters and do OC's every 5 or 6000 miles. Do I need an oversized filter? Probably not. Do they give me that warm fuzzy feeling? Bet on it.

Personally, I'm not interested in the warm fuzzy as much as someone or something leading to a "correct" answer. Sometimes that correct answer is provided by the manufacturer and sometimes it isn't. Someone telling me "it works" so I can feel good about it may not be the best option unless there's additional and more empirical information to corroborate the experience.

I wouldn't put an oversized filter on my car just due to the marginal oil pump pressure it's spec'd with...so I don't think you can look at it one-dimensionally. I don't doubt there's some bad information out there masquerading as cross reference and part number tables in relation to oversized filter applications.

I would agree with that, and that's why I hate cross references in general. One filter is specified for my G37, one was specified before and superseded. Each has one upsize. I'm fortunate that all four filters actually work correctly for my G37. But, it does show the perils of cross referencing; if you play around with cross references with these filter options, you can certainly wind up with the "wrong" ones, being the 51365 (original specified filter) or the 51356 (upsize to that one), whereas the "proper" Infiniti/Nissan options are the 51358 and 57356.

Originally Posted By: OLEJOE

That's what we're on here for isn't it? That warm fuzzy feeling is what it's all about. People come on here and post their experiences and questions so they can feel better about the combinations of oils and filters and the results they have. I use oversized filters and do OC's every 5 or 6000 miles. Do I need an oversized filter? Probably not. Do they give me that warm fuzzy feeling? Bet on it.

Warm and fuzzy feeling? Yes - I'd agree there are MANY on here for that very reason.

A few of us, however, are looking to increase the knowledge base with facts and data, so that rational decisions can be made. We're the minority, however ...

Or it lets me buy/stock one filter for two vehicles (six packs are cheaper) - and on the "oversized" is easier to get on/off (length helps wrenching) - that one is not under warranty anyway ...

One thing to keep in mind when "playing engineer" on oversized filter selection, is that in the rare event of a filter failure, you may lack warranty protection. Regardless of using the correct sized filter or not, the vehicle manufacturer is going to push back on warranty work for a non OEM filter failure. Secondly, unless the aftermarket filter maker catalogs a oversize filter for your application, they have grounds to not honor the warranty for their filter and not cover any engine damage.

You, sir, are going to be in time out ... Your heresy in applying common sense and logic are out of bounds. How dare you bring forth the lack of proof and risk of warranty denial as appropriate considerations for this topic.

Do you not understand that if something is good, then it's downright Amurikan to up-size it, 'cuz more always be better! Have you not heard the resounding call of the BITOGer zealot; syns and huge filters are the only safe means of maintaining anything, and if you do not follow this mantra, your equipment will surely die, instantaneously screeching it's main bearings to a galled halt. Cannot you simply turn a blind eye to the complete lack of evidence that suggests oversized filters do nothing? Despite all theory, a total lack of credible data indicating larger filters are a boon? If one up-sized filter is "better", cannot two of them in tandem be considered "more better"? If two up-sized filters are "more better", then would not a bank of them mounted on the firewall or frame-rail be "more best"?

Further, do you not recognize the great legal power of the BITOG collective? When, in the rare event of filter failure, the BITOG elite will rise up, pool together tens-of-thousands of dollars, and pay for your legal wrangling, as well as your rental car for the 7 years of delays in court/arbitration? And the BITOG elite will also befuddle the uneducated masses with their filter rhetoric, over-riding all the expert testimony of actual filter engineers and reams of data they have at their disposal?

We eschew your logic, and supplant it with the BITOG experience of "more is always better".

For shame; woe unto you. You are to sit in the corner. Say 10 "Our Filters" and 5 "Hail Moly's" and you will be forgiven.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

You, sir, are going to be in time out ... Your heresy in applying common sense and logic are out of bounds. How dare you bring forth the lack of proof and risk of warranty denial as appropriate considerations for this topic.

Yeah I know, I have smite the oil filter gods and all their greatness with my heretic statements.

I will not be a hypocrite and say I have never done it, but as I have gotten older and hopefully more wiser, I find the whole thing a mental feinting exercise with very little to no benefit from a technical perspective.

Not denying others for their reasoning, but just trying to keep it real for the most part. I could care less at a personal level what others do or do not on the subject.

A larger filter typically means more media area, which gives more holding capacity and less delta-p to give some extra margin before a bypass event would occur. Lots of members like that fuzzy feeling.

...I will not be a hypocrite and say I have never done it, but as I have gotten older and hopefully more wiser, I find the whole thing a mental feinting exercise with very little to no benefit from a technical perspective.

Not denying others for their reasoning, but just trying to keep it real for the most part. I could care less at a personal level what others do or do not on the subject.

Fwiw I give you an A for honesty. I also completely agree with your last two sentences.

As historical reference, when I first joined this site, member Gary Allan(rip) would regularly and enthusiastically help posters who asked for an oversize filter recommendation. I don't recall all the bloviating chastisement (subtle and otherwise) when the question was asked or the answer given. But for better or worse I guess things change.

For me when it comes to two filter applications specifically, the shorty 6607/14612 and SAE cousin 4967/14476, where practicable I'm going to choose the somewhat longer 'upsized' 7317/14610/57356 and the SAE 9386/14477 filters. The latter have the same specs as the shorties just a bit longer (3/4-1") with more media area. The 7317/14610 are applications that quick lubes and some indies regularly downsize to the shorty sizes. I suppose if quick lubes can downsize filter applications to save money only, I can upsize for the reasons mentioned, which in those examples at least seem more valid to me.

That brings me what 'seems' to be the great irony of this thread topic website OilFilterData.com and some of the subsequent replies here. Being previously familiar with said website, it appears now and for as long as I've seen visited it that said website is either sponsored by BITOG, or in some way related to it. Whenever I've been on the site in the lower right corner a banner link for BITOG always appears above the recently added listing for filters to the database. That's makes the subsequent discussion of oversizing very interesting imo.

As follow up reference only, their 'about' page shows their reasons for oversizing a filter.

http://oilfilterdata.com/index.php?view=about

Originally Posted By: kohnen
.....this question really, REALLY easy. Thought you folks might want to know about it - I found exploring around the site to be most illuminating.
Thanks, it is useful. I just found one to replace mine thats only 0.3"longer, but 0.7" fatter, so if it fits in the space, I'll do it. (Same bypass pressure too.) The gasket diameter looks very similar in my case.

Do it with a Fram Ultra, and let the thing stay on for 2 years or 20k, whichever comes first!

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
A larger filter typically means more media area, which gives more holding capacity and less delta-p to give some extra margin before a bypass event would occur. Lots of members like that fuzzy feeling.
You're right of course. May not need it, but just might. Save money and time by leaving a Fram Ultra oversize one on longer. .... So easy to do this oversize thing, why not just do it and let other people philosophize about it all day long with boring essays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back