Which filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, Im going to run Castrol edge ep 5w20 for my summer/fall run. Plan to go up to 12k kms say 8500 miles..but next change for fall. Debating which filter to use. Napa gold, M1 filter, Fram TG or just use the Proselect I have on hand? I was thinking of going with the M1 filter..please let me know what you would use for this interval. Past intervals have been only 6-8000kms just because I het bored and change the oil sooner. Please only choose from options above as im not open to others. Thanks in advance
smile.gif
(price is not a concern)

TG says fram is good for 10, I've ran napaG past 12k, M1 claims 15. I'd be willing to bet the proselect will do 8k just fine.

Rolla,

Use up the filters in your stash first, pro select as you mention. Then go for a Fram Ultra once you need a new filter and run it for 15,000km (2 oci). If you don't like the ultra then I would go for a napa gold.

Any of the filters (except the Proselect) are probably fine.

Here's another data point- the prius c specs 10k mile oil change intervals using the same YZZF2 filter that is specified for your car.

It's always hard when you get a lot of different replies. Here's mine.

I'm a Wix guy..after a lot of research. So, I go with Napa Gold (Wix). The ProSelect has a rubber anti drain back valve..which is fine, but not as good longer term as silicone. if you don't care, use the Proselect you have. if you do, get rid of them and get Wix.

I'm biased against Fram b/c regardless of how well many think the pricier cans work, they're still designed by the folks who also made the universally reviled "Orange can of Death" Extra Guard.

Only reviled by folks who don't know better.
Millions of cars have used the orange can without problems.

I have run pro selects many times for 6k runs, you'll be fine using what you have.

For and 8 to 10K OCI the Fram TG should work well....I'd get the slightly oversized PH4386 (rather than the PH4967).

The Wix Gold is a another good choice which should work fine for your application/OCI.

IMO, use the oldest filter between the M1, TG, and NG. They will serve your OCI length requirement.

I'm sure the Proselect will work under a well maintained engine.

Looking at NAPAONLINE or FRAM sites, I would go for the NAPA Gold or the Fram TG. The M1 is fine but too expensive IMO. Both have synthetic blend media and the dirt capacity for the OCI you want to run. It really depends on how much dirt your engine produces and how much the filter can hold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back