Microgard/Napa ProSelect filters for 99 Ford 4.6 ohc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just use your free ones, keep your ears peeled-change them if you hear anything noisy at start. For some reason, these modular Ford V8s can be picky on filters. I even hear a little noise with the CQ Blues & Magnatec 5W20, the rattling (& possible light piston slap or wrist pin noise) is gone inside of a mile after cold start.

Alright, thanks guys. I usually start my car with the drivers door open so I would hear anything odd. With the Motorcraft filter it sounds excellent. Very smooth and quiet from the first start of the day. Intermittent long crank though that I have yet to resolve but I guess I just have to look at that in a positive way that it helps build oil pressure LOL.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
The Motorcraft 820S is made by Purolator, and there have been some issues in the past few years with the media tearing in them (the 820S seems to be a problem filter, not sure if it is just more of them cut open or if a design issue).
I would (and did) choose a Wix made ST filter over a Motorcraft 820S filter.

As said, use the free filters as planned, they will be fine.
For future purchases, if you can get the Wix for 4.92, I would use that all the time. Quality filter that is good for up to 10,000 miles.

Overall, as another member here say all the time, oil filtration is not near as important as air filtration (sorry, just can't think of who says it all the time). So long as there is no filter failure (media tears or bypass valve malfunction), most any filter will do what is needed.

The following FL-820S crosses work for me : WIX 51372, ACDelco PF1250, Champ PH820, Fram TG2 and Parts Plus PH820. The Purolator made FL-820S is junk. This includes PL24651 and FL820S. These two suffer from wide pleat spaces and that is where the tears initiate. The eCores I have cut open are always in good shape compared to the FL-820S. End caps stay on, no tears and ADBV does not leak off. The next new filters I buy will be Fram.

Ugh, then the FL820 is out. So basically every oil filter sucks. Sp maybe after I use my cheap ones up I should get ACDelco filters?

I'm literally more confused now than I was when I opened the thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogememe

I'm literally more confused now than I was when I opened the thread.

No need to be. Lets cut through all the well intended but conflicting advice, and go by a time proven "rule of thumb".

The MG/NPS filters are FINE for a 5000 mile interval. The NPS is an economy filter but its not junk! Use them up!
For extended intervals, use something like a NAPA Gold or Platinum, or a Fram Ultra.
Filter fears are overblown here. Occasionally one does fail (like any other auto part can) but its EXTREMELY rare that a filter kills an engine. Really, there is no need to stress. Use your filters and drive happy for 5000 miles.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: blupupher
The Motorcraft 820S is made by Purolator, and there have been some issues in the past few years with the media tearing in them (the 820S seems to be a problem filter, not sure if it is just more of them cut open or if a design issue).
I would (and did) choose a Wix made ST filter over a Motorcraft 820S filter.

As said, use the free filters as planned, they will be fine.
For future purchases, if you can get the Wix for 4.92, I would use that all the time. Quality filter that is good for up to 10,000 miles.

Overall, as another member here say all the time, oil filtration is not near as important as air filtration (sorry, just can't think of who says it all the time). So long as there is no filter failure (media tears or bypass valve malfunction), most any filter will do what is needed.

+1
The advice from blupupher above (as well as advice from other posts) is good, clear advice. There's nothing to over-think and nothing to be confused about. After receiving this advice, you (the OP) gave a reason against using a NAPA Gold/WIX filter (after you use up your NAPA ProSelect and Microgard filters)..... So then choose a FRAM Ultra, Mobil 1, or some other "upper tier" filter if you want to do longer OCI's. The decision is yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back