Tire repair question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjk

Morning,
I have an elderly friend I am helping out. She has a screw in the outer block of her tire. The screw is squarely in the middle of that block.

I have the feeling this isn't repairable - looking for opinions. She is in rehab for a couple of weeks, so have a bit of time to figure this out.

Appreciate it.

If it's not leaking air, I say leave it in and stop worrying (assuming it's really a screw and not a nail). Eventually the head will wear down to the tread level, the screw won't migrate out, and she can buy new tires in a year or three when she normally would. Ask me how I know.

Outer block typically isn't repairable by any major chain. If you take it to a small shop, they'd probably do it and just tell you it's not recommended.

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
If it's not leaking air, I say leave it in and stop worrying (assuming it's really a screw and not a nail). Eventually the head will wear down to the tread level, the screw won't migrate out, and she can buy new tires in a year or three when she normally would

+1. No reputable shop would repair a tire in your condition. The RMA forbids it and it's too much liability.

I had a screw in a tire and it only lost 1# more a month than my other tires so it took awhile to narrow down.

The tire is flat, so leaving it in isn't an option. I should have put that in my original post...sorry.

Looks like I will prepare her for having to get a pair of tires.
In reviewing that chart, it is definitely out of the repairable area.

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: LotI
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
If it's not leaking air, I say leave it in and stop worrying (assuming it's really a screw and not a nail). Eventually the head will wear down to the tread level, the screw won't migrate out, and she can buy new tires in a year or three when she normally would

+1. No reputable shop would repair a tire in your condition. The RMA forbids it and it's too much liability.

I had a screw in a tire and it only lost 1# more a month than my other tires so it took awhile to narrow down.

Last edited:
Wabbout a can or 2 of Fix-a-flat ?
27.gif

I'd have the tire shop break it down and take it home and do it myself. The reason it is not repairable is not because the tire will fly apart or anything, it's because of the amount of flex in that area. The flex tends to knock patches loose. And it's an entry point for water that eventually attacks the steel cord ... But that's eventually ...

You can do an interior hot patch and it'll stick for a long time.

Or, you can do a push-in rope plug. Parts store has kits. Mark hole with marker, Remove screw, clean well with brake clean in hole, push in rope plug, twist and pull out tool. Cut off flush with surface. Will hold for months at least. Don't even have to have wheel off car really ...
smile.gif

We do stuff like this for ranch trucks at least once a year. Yeah, they spend most of their time in dirt, but they go down the highway too. Some of these patches are years old
smile.gif

Last edited:
If the vehicle is used only ocally for grocery shopping and not highway speeds then I would remove the tire, patch it from the inside and use it. Ed

I would just plug it. Buy a tire plug kit follow the directions. I ve plugged several tires. Works Great.
I just plugged the tire on my company truck last week walked out and tire was flat. Screw, pulled it, reamed the hole, stuck the plug in the tool, plugged the tire. It's fine.
Done it several times on several vehicles without problems.

Exterior ghetto patch if used for around town, interior patch if used for more hwy.

Personally..if its not sidewall, id say why isnt it fixable? Its nonsense. Inside patch would be best. Up here its about 30$

Really depends on how close to the shoulder of the tire the puncture is whether it's in an RMA repairable area. Middle of outer block wouldn't automatically exclude the RMA plug-patch repair done as SOP at places like Discount Tire, no charge. If you can fill the tire and get it to a DT or similar and it will be their call. Linked is a diagram from DT/AT showing repairable area, and general information.

Though I've had good success with diy rope/string repairs before DT came to area, I'd be very leery of doing it on someone else's vehicle. Other than using to get vehicle to shop for proper RMA repair or tire replacement, I wouldn't assume that risk.

http://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-repair

As noted above, just being in the outside tread block doesn't mean it's irreparable. The real question is how far is it from the edge?

DT says it has to be 1/2" or more from the edge of the tread.

The correct repair is a combination patch/plug. This is what pretty much any reputable shop is going to install.

BJ561.jpg

This

dubbdc3a4ck_klein.jpg

was repairable. Tyre has H speed rating, is on a german car, was repaired by a german tyre dealer, who is likely to assume the car will at least occasionally see that speed.
(Tyre looks worse on the picture than it really is, concrete dust and flash from the camera make th etread look way flatter than it actually is - I measured ~5mm, so the tyre shpould still have abozt 10000km life in it with my driving style.)

https://turboseize.wordpress.com/2017/03/19/die-luft-ist-raus/

A " Ghetto" plug would work fine in that spot. I have used them for years and will continue to use them. My truck is on the highway everyday.
New cars don't even come with a spare. They come with a air compressor. That new Challenger already has a "ghetto' plug kit in the trunk. I would not hesitate to plug a tire on it on a flat in the middle of nowhere a d drive it with that plug till the tire wore out. Tire people sell you on all these high dollar tire repairs and new tires and meanwhile "Ghetto" plugs have been around forever and they work. They are just cheap, easy and not profitable for tire shops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back