Fram Ultra vs Baldwin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

Been running Baldwin oil filter on a GMC 5.3 for about 140K miles, recently saw a recommendation here for the Fram Ultra as a good filter.

How do they compare?

How does the Fram Ultra compare to the stock OEM Toyota filter?

Originally Posted By: sir1900
All three you mentioned are good in terms of quality and construction, but if efficiency is important to you, go with the Ultra.
The Ultra is better for not just efficiency. It also holds more, lasts longer, than cheaply constructed paper media oil filters like Baldwin and Toyota OEM fiters. Look at the materials used to construct the Ultra: synthetic dual media, silicon, wire backing. Compare that to other oil filters.

Thank you both.

Is there any likelihood that the paper filters (Baldwin & Toyota)are flowing less over the duration of an OCI, resulting in the tick I'm hearing for the last +/- 2K miles of a 5k mile interval?

Originally Posted By: CCI
Is there any likelihood that the paper filters (Baldwin & Toyota)are flowing less over the duration of an OCI, resulting in the tick I'm hearing for the last +/- 2K miles of a 5k mile interval?
Very doubtful your filters are partially clogged after merely 5,000 miles. They perform adequately. The tick is probably due to oil aeration (foaming) or lifters just sticking.

That lifter problem might be helped by either "Liqui Moly hydraulic lifter additive" or Rislone
2f2658cd-709e-4b93-8895-e5ed46674283_1.89a7a8548ed77ebc8c8e1ea634ef12eb.jpeg

Or BG Products #109 (EPR). Baldwin are some well made traditional filters. Fram Ultra is sort of in a class by itself.

I'd run either anytime, but tend to have more Balwin's in my stash as they came in bulk through Amazon with free shipping
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Or BG Products #109 (EPR). Baldwin are some well made traditional filters. Fram Ultra is sort of in a class by itself.

I'd run either anytime, but tend to have more Balwin's in my stash as they came in bulk through Amazon with free shipping
smile.gif

+1 ... Same here, I've used both, along with Hastings which is equivalent to Baldwin.

Baldwin and OEM Toyota are both fine.

Looking for higher efficiency in the FRAM Ultra is fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

But there's no problem with the FRAM Ultra, other than cost, since its construction is better than the lesser FRAM's.

Originally Posted By: CCI
Thank you both.

If the ticking is only after a cold start-up then it's probably the filter's ADBV. If the ticking is all the time, then it's something mechanical, not the filter.

What year model 5.3 is it? If equipped with AFM (or Displacement on Demand) it could be a sign of trouble on the way. The AFM exhaust oil from 8 of the lifters and disables 4 of the cylinders. I don't know exactly how it works but it disables the valves, injectors, and the electrical to those cylinders. Does your 5.3 use any oil? Lifter ticking is 1 of the first signs of this. 2007-2010 for sure. But there has been other later years also.

In some ways, Baldwin and the Fram Ultra really aren't competitors. Sure, they're both oil filters, but ideally, they're catering to different markets and goals. The Fram Ultra is best suited to long OCIs or those wanting really high efficiencies at the very least. The Baldwin is simply a very well made, very traditional oil filter.

The Fram Ultra goes for, at regular price, around $15 for my G37 up here. The Baldwin I have on there now was around $5.

I was getting cold start ticking using Baldwins in my Chevy pickup. The ticking would stick around until the engine warmed.

I bought three Baldwins from Rock Auto and threw the last one away in the garbage. The 2nd one I tried about 1.5K into the OCI made the same startup & ticking noise.

Never will use a Baldwin again. Fram Ultras are premier filters. Run them for two OCIs.

It's a 2002, only ticks at start up.

Always ran Havoline or Valvoline, first time I ran Mobil1 after about 130K the crud that came out at that oil change was unbelievable. Motor is still in good shape as far as I can tell, very powerful, uses about a quart every 5k mikes.

I was going to try to change the screen before the oil sending unit, but I can't even see it much less get to it. Watched a few Youtube videos and abandoned the idea.

I'm not too worried about the 5.3, that goes away as soon as it warms up a little bit. I've owned a lot of GM products, this one seems sound.

I'm new to Toyota, I have no idea what sounds are normal and what are not. I used to trust the mechanics at the local dealership but they recently disabused me of that misapprehension, so I think I will probably maintain it as well as I can, do exactly as suggested here and send a sample out at the next interval, run it, and don't worry about the noise.

It could be my imagination but the motor in the FJ sounds a real lot quieter on the Mobil Super Synthetic. I will go to Mobil 1 next time.

Certainly do appreciate everyone's help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back