Cabin Air Filters - how often?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once a year I get on rockauto and order air filters, cabin filters and wipers for all my cars.

Comes out to be like 30-40 bucks to do both cars with all new filters.

Much cheaper than buying locally and I usually get the denso brand stuff for both cars.

Well, seeing how home filters go for 3 months????

Maybe no sooner than a year but no more than 50,000 miles - given normal service and not heavily polluted areas or dirty interiors.

That'd be my guess anyway!

Never.

The longer you leave the filter, the better it becomes at trapping dirt. (Of course if it becomes completely blocked, then change it.) I find the Cabin filter concept amusing. My 80s and 90s cars never had cabin filters..... the air came straight off the road.

Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
I find the Cabin filter concept amusing. My 80s and 90s cars never had cabin filters..... the air came straight off the road.

If you've ever had to replace an evaporator or heater core, there is one heck of a difference between one with a filter and one without.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
I find the Cabin filter concept amusing. My 80s and 90s cars never had cabin filters..... the air came straight off the road.

If you've ever had to replace an evaporator or heater core, there is one heck of a difference between one with a filter and one without.

And the air ducts, and the blower fan, and how often you need to clean the interior...

Originally Posted By: sgtrockjoe
Annually.

Meaningless answer. Some drive 30K each year, others drive 5K or lower.
The schedule should be based on miles.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Originally Posted By: sgtrockjoe
Annually.

Meaningless answer. Some drive 30K each year, others drive 5K or lower.
The schedule should be based on miles.

Easy there Kestas! You seem to have gotten wound up.

Say you drive 22mph average in the city for 1000 hours.

Then someone drives 55mph all highway for 1000 hours.

On top of that difference, the car in the city is probably even more likely than that to pickup pollutants. So that widens the difference even further.

There are probably plenty more examples.

Okay, I can see some cases like that. But all too often I see people give simplistic answers of "annually" when addressing things like changing oil, air filters, and cabin filters. Most of the weight is placed on miles. People should keep maintenance records of their cars, so work can be done on a timely manner. Not evryone drives exactly 15K or 1000 hrs each year. None of my cars see more than 5K in any year.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Okay, I can see some cases like that. But all too often I see people give simplistic answers of "annually" when addressing things like changing oil, air filters, and cabin filters. Most of the weight is placed on miles. People should keep maintenance records of their cars, so work can be done on a timely manner. Not evryone drives exactly 15K each year. None of my cars see more than 5K in any year.

Miles or time, miles or time.

Lets use the 2yr/20k example. In two years the filter may be exposed to under 20k miles, sure, but the charcoal element still degrades just by being exposed to air and the filter is still exposed to moisture and organic elements which can degrade it further.

But, factory recommendations cover the lowest common denominator; the best and worst case scenarios are accounted for.

If you inspect your cabin filter and deem it can or should go further, then you are doing your due diligence and making a decision based on your specific circumstances.

The manufacturer nor the members of a message board can make these specific scenario-based recommendations. The "simplistic" answer, as you put it, is the correct answer. Cover the lowest common denominator. Make a safe recommendation.

Based on the time I'm actually driving my car (only to work and back), I do mine every year. I could do it more often, just not really motivated. The rest of the time, I'm driving the wife around in her Rogue like the Queen of England.

Only last year i replaced the factory cabin filter from back in 2004 :-(
Now my ac works real good
When it came the condition was unbelievable.

My environment and experiences have led me to a 2 year/30K mi. cabin air filter change interval (CAFCI?).

The PO changed the CAF in my "new car" at 60K. That was 10K ago.
I gave it a "knock and a wash" and reinstalled it.
It wasn't that bad.
I have a quality replacement standing by and it'll go in at 85K.

So, how 'bout CAFCI? Pronounce it caff'-see, not caff'-key.

I pull mine after 6 months, and knock out any debris collected on top, and reinstall.

Then, I replace it after 12 months.

When you check it and it's filled with stuff. About every 15-30k depending on where you park and drive. They fill with sticks and leaves quite easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back