Incident on American Airlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Any business where the employees forget that they are there to serve the customers and not the other way around is doomed to fail.
A lack of trade would quickly displace you from any seat in the cockpit of any airliner.
A lot of what's involved in airline flying is unspoken and unknown to those who don't travel much.
The burden is upon the personnel of the carrier to communicate with the passengers, not upon the passengers to know rules that were never explained to them.
In this case, the passenger stood up to confront an FA who had just hit a young woman carrying an infant by swinging a stroller at her. In this case, it would be the FA who is chargeable with assault, not the male passenger who confronted the FA.
Meanwhile, the four striper did nothing.
What would you have done if one of the FAs in a plane under your command struck a young mother holding an infant?
Based upon what you've posted, I'm guessing you would have sided with the FA.

That's one of the most insulting things I've ever read.

IF, the new favorite word here, if the assault happened as you, and the rest of social media, claim, we would be taking that flight attendant off my airplane.

And the flight would cancel for insufficient staff.

But you presume that I would side with crew over the side of right and wrong, just because I ask people to avoid judgement until all the facts are in?

Your reading comprehension is poor, but not as poor as your manners.

Last edited:
I was hoping for a civil discussion. I'll be flying in a couple of weeks long haul. I'll expect a civil flight as usual.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
We don't need vigilante passengers.

Nope. But I'm very vigilant as a passenger.

I was ready to take a fellow passenger down when he was bumping around the cockpit door and I was in the 1st row but he was just looking for a bathroom.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
Originally Posted By: PimTac
We don't need vigilante passengers.

Nope. But I'm very vigilant as a passenger.

I was ready to take a fellow passenger down when he was bumping around the cockpit door and I was in the 1st row but he was just looking for a bathroom.

That I could understand but it's different from this latest news of today.

Last edited:
The lady acted like she was losing the stroller and would never see it again. I have to think it was explained to her more than once. As I've now heard, the stroller was placed with other items headed to the hold. She went over and took it and went on board.

I'd last 2 hours maximum as a FA before I'd be on the news acting unprofessional.

What part of return your seat to its full upright position did you not understand?

+1

We live in the age of entitlement.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Between security, new light weight uncomfortable airline seats (in coach) unruly passengers, unruly crew flying is a big, big pain.

My wife wants to fly from Salt Lake City to New Zealand. I told her she can go by herself-there is no way I'm staying in an airplane that long. Absolutely no way.

NZ is an excellent visit. But you gotta break the flight up. How about an overnight stop over in Fiji or Tahiti, or even Hawaii
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
can you keep a stroller at your seat? seems it would block the aisle?

No. You can't. It blocks the ability of everyone to exit.

Strollers must be checked.

Not brought on board.

You can place in overhead if small enough/space available in overhead but generally gate checking is easiest as long as it not pouring rain outside as it will be soaked. Flown with small kids for 9 years on foreign and domestic airlines. No experience though on United which Astro flies. Delta and American seemed chill about it.

This was reportedly written by a man named Eric that was on this flight.

Quote:
I was on this flight directly across the isle from the woman filming the video. This is what I observed: 1.) woman gets on the plane pushing a car seat type stroller with one child in it, carrying a second child on her hip and dragging behind a very large folded stroller that was too big for the overhead bin or to go under a seat. 2.) the flight attendant shown in the video approached from the back of the plane and informed her in a calm manner that there was nowhere to store the stroller. The woman immediately escalated the situation and within about 30 seconds was screaming at him at the top of her lungs. 3.) the flight attendant evidently decided she was not fit to be on the flight (in my opinion the correct decision) and started to move her and her children towards the front of the plane. 4.) when they got to the from of the plane the woman decided she was not going any further. The flight attendant picked up the stroller and lifted it over his head to try and move past the woman. As he was doing this she pushed him and the stroller fell a bit and struck her in the face. She began crying loudly and dramatically. Shortly after this is where the video begins. 5.) The first class passenger then inserts himself into the drama with his faux chivalry but clearly has no idea what has transpired in the back of the plane since he was in a window seat in the first class section of the plane and could not have viewed the incident from his seat. 6.) after another 10 minutes or so the woman exits the plane only to be returned about 5 minutes later and taken to her seat. We wait another 30-40 minutes while various flight and ground crew come and go speaking to the woman. After about 40 minutes she deplanes again this time telling all of the passengers, who are now becoming vocal in support of the flight crew, that all she wanted was an apology from the flight attendant. Evidently that's what the 40 minute delay was all about. Then we waited another 10 minutes for the ground crew to find and remove her luggage from the belly of the plane. 7.) the flight finally leaves and arrives in Dallas an hour or so late. American representatives are waiting at the gate to speak with the first class passenger who made the threats. What I heard was a very apologetic tone coming from two American employees, as if the airline had done something to upset the first class passenger. 8.) when I entered the bag claim area the first class passenger was right in front of me and as soon as he made it through the revolving door there was a camera crew waiting for him on the other side to interview him. That's about as factual of an account as I can provide and I realize there may be other parts of this story that I do not know about or did not witness. From what I saw: a.) if anyone from American should have been punished it should be the ground crew who somehow letting this woman on board with a full size stroller. The flight attendant was put in a horrible situation by a passenger that most passengers in my immediate area thought seemed unstable. She escalated the situation, not him. b.) in my opinion, the first class passenger should have been removed. Had the flight been in progress he might very well have been arrested upon landing for threatening a crew member. Additionally, he could not have seen any of the back of the plane antics of the woman based on where he was seated. c.) I agree the flight attendant may have reacted too harshly in responding to the threatening customer in first class, but his actions with the woman in question were professional throughout the ordeal. I am disappointed American has chosen to punish him.

In the last few years I've seen no space at all in the overheads let alone any space for a stroller. This stroller in the incident is being described as a stroller for twins. No way that would come on board. The lady took it from the rest being checked and brought it on board after being told no. I haven't heard if there was a language barrier that may have exacerbated the situation.

Flying with kids is tough. I carried a car seat for a mother flying with 3 kids to help her out. The FA thanked me with the promise of a free cocktail. Flying is not much fun. Let's be nice to each other and make it a little less horrible.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: Timo325
Another sad day for the airlines.

I'm so very disappointed in the lack of professionalism of this flight attendant.

If an accident happened, how hard is it to sincerely apologize for bumping into someone or something?

It's a plane, bumps are gonna happen. There are no circumstances where this is ok.

But you're OK with this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/66nfjm/american_airlines_pilot_assaulted_at_mci_airport/

The passenger follows the pilot into the terminal and assaults him?

Why no thread started on this? Where were all the cell phone videos and self-righteous comments?

A accidental bump because your trying to squeeze by someone else in the aisle, is completely different from the story you've posted. I think you took my comment out of context.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I know a lot of people who would have laid that flight attendant out, just because of the cocky gesturing. That is a bad way to approach a person, very bad.

And you would have been visiting all those people while they served their time in jail.

I'd last 2 hours maximum as a FA before I'd be on the news acting unprofessional.

What part of return your seat to its full upright position did you not understand?

It's becoming like a Walmart Supercenter with wings. Lots of foolishness and poor behavior.

With United having a poorly handled incident make the national media, every idiot will think he/she as the license to act out and be a fool on a United flight. Really? 2 strollers ? Only an idiot would think you can have those bouncing around the cabin during a turbulent flight. Of course you can't bring all that on the plane.

Airplane isles are narrow and accidental bumps are going to happen , everyone has to duck and squeeze to get around. If you don't have the sense to duck a bit as the stroller is being moved over your head, you may deserve a bump.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back